1980 Chevy C10 Engine Refurb - Newbie

Hello All-

I have a 1980 Chevy C10 small block V-8.

I've removed the valve covers.

Two main questions

• How do I examine the valve covers, engine block and piston gaskets to know if there are any major issues with them?
  • How do I clean 40 years of gunk off?

20200327 Engine Block (1).jpg

20200327 Engine Block (2).jpg

20200327 Engine Block (3).jpg

20200327 Engine Block (4).jpg

20200327 Engine Block (5).jpg

20200327 Engine Block (6).jpg

20200327 Engine Block (7).jpg

20200327 Engine Block (8).jpg

Having an engine stand certainly makes working on the engine a lot easier, both with disassembly and reassembly, as it's easier to rotate the engine as necessary to work on the top and bottom as needed.

As for disassembly, check for, and if necessary, add, markings to ensure you know where the part came from and how it came apart (for example, each rod cap goes with a specific rod, and must be bolted together in a specific orientation, you can't mix and match the caps, or rotate their orientation, same with main caps for the crankshaft, and other parts are the same way).  And whatever markings you put on them need to be able to survive being cleaned, as paint markers just wash off...

Note, it's not ONLY those parts that need marking.  I would suggest first reading about the entire process of disassembling/reassembling the engine, so  you know what needs to be marked and what doesn't, and all kinds of other things.  It's a fairly straightforward task to rebuild an engine, but it does require a bunch of stuff to be done right for the result to work well and last for a long time.

Personally, after getting the full-service manual for my truck, and having bought a bunch of Haynes/Chiltons manuals for previous vehicles, I would only use H/C's to start a fire.  They are mostly generic info, with only a small portion begin vehicle-specific info (this is referring to the manuals they sell for your vehicle) and are basically worthless for rebuilding your engine.

The manuals H/C sell for rebuilding your specific engine are more useful, but I would still suggest getting the full-service manual for your truck, either the paper version or an online subscription to it (if the online versions go back far enough to cover your truck).

• Like 1

All-

Thanks to all for your responses.

I have purchase the Haynes book

• Quick follow up all. I'm trying to avoid having to take the engine baked (heated for clean) and have it machined.  I will if I have to, but
  • Up to a few months ago I was running the truck. So the engine was working well.  Then something went array. Not sure what, so I figured I'd take it apart piece by piece.
  • Is there a recommendation for how to properly clean each part of the engine without taking it in?  Would letting it soak in some time of grease solvent and using a wire brush work?  This is a hobby for my son and I. So we have plenty of time.

Thanks.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:13 AM, Lazar76 said:

All-

Thanks to all for your responses.

I have purchase the Haynes book

• Quick follow up all. I'm trying to avoid having to take the engine baked (heated for clean) and have it machined.  I will if I have to, but
  • Up to a few months ago I was running the truck. So the engine was working well.  Then something went array. Not sure what, so I figured I'd take it apart piece by piece.
  • Is there a recommendation for how to properly clean each part of the engine without taking it in?  Would letting it soak in some time of grease solvent and using a wire brush work?  This is a hobby for my son and I. So we have plenty of time.

Thanks.

Sounds like the rebuilding of the motor is  over your head ""hence your words"  "then something went array"  what was the array deal, sounds? knocking?, loss of power? WHAT?  People above have gave you good ideas with Books that have the info you need. Sorry to be blunt but how did you get this far in life without reading books?

I'll give you this as nobody has yet given the answer you seek. A engine hoist or cherry picker will be helpful in getting the motor out unless you have Gorilla strength.