C0800 & Service Trailer Brake

Hello everybody,

This is my first post I think. I can’t really remember now.

Anyways I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 I’m having a problem with.

I’m past the 60,000 km warranty bumper-to-bumper so I might have to look after this myself. It has been looked at previously and supposedly fixed but the problem is back after one year.

When I first bought the truck I would get service trailer brake when I start the truck, which would clear immediately. I would also have issues with the trailer brakes not functioning. They fixed it before but it’s back.

Also, If I leave the ignition on accessory, the truck tells me the battery is low and that I need to charge it which I never get before, same day I got the service trailer brake.

This time I pulled the code myself instead of taking it to the dealer. I got a C0800. Does anyone know what that means in my case? I think the low battery and service trailer brake system message are related.

The code says device power number one low current number one circuit malfunction.

The battery voltage is 12.02V

af56c7394a5409f0a7ee0ac55fcc9966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete, it's probably time for a new battery.  Certain modules (computers) in the truck have different thresholds for voltage and if not met they will set a code.  If you're driving short distances or the truck is sitting a lot, consider a battery tender to keep it fully charged and the plates clean.  I just bought a Battery Minder 1510 and it revived my old battery.

Take the rear 7-pin plug apart and clean out all the dust and dirt and make sure none of the wire ends are corroded.  You can also check the connections on the Solid State Relay (SSR) and the Trailer Brake Control Module (TBCM) which are mounted on a frame rail somewhere.  My SSR started acting up after crossing a stream in a swamp and it took about a year to fail fully.    

Pete, it's probably time for a new battery.  Certain modules (computers) in the truck have different thresholds for voltage and if not met they will set a code.  If you're driving short distances or the truck is sitting a lot, consider a battery tender to keep it fully charged and the plates clean.  I just bought a Battery Minder 1510 and it revived my old battery.

Take the rear 7-pin plug apart and clean out all the dust and dirt and make sure none of the wire ends are corroded.  You can also check the connections on the Solid State Relay (SSR) and the Trailer Brake Control Module (TBCM) which are mounted on a frame rail somewhere.  My SSR started acting up after crossing a stream in a swamp and it took about a year to fail fully.    

How long do these batteries typically last? Mine is only a year or two old...

18 hours ago, ze3bar said:

How long do these batteries typically last? Mine is only a year or two old...

It depends.  Until RVC came out, I never had one last more than two years down here.  Even a new battery can have a bad cell which will cause all kinds of gremlins in an electrical system and are hard to detect without the right tools used correctly.  My current battery is nearing 4 years old and is an ACDelco 48PS 30-Month battery.  Truck was sitting a lot since November and the battery was not holding a charge, was monitoring the battery health with my Tech-2.  Then I bought that BatteryMINDer 1510 and within a week the battery was brought back to life like it was previously.  

So if your commute is short, the battery will not charge up and over time that crud builds up on the plates which prevents it from taking a charge.  The special chargers make that stuff fall off, restoring the batteries ability to hold a charge.  

Check your dealer for specials, they often have coupons for new batteries with installation for $150-200 depending on which quality level they are offering.

It depends.  Until RVC came out, I never had one last more than two years down here.  Even a new battery can have a bad cell which will cause all kinds of gremlins in an electrical system and are hard to detect without the right tools used correctly.  My current battery is nearing 4 years old and is an ACDelco 48PS 30-Month battery.  Truck was sitting a lot since November and the battery was not holding a charge, was monitoring the battery health with my Tech-2.  Then I bought that BatteryMINDer 1510 and within a week the battery was brought back to life like it was previously.  

So if your commute is short, the battery will not charge up and over time that crud builds up on the plates which prevents it from taking a charge.  The special chargers make that stuff fall off, restoring the batteries ability to hold a charge.  

Check your dealer for specials, they often have coupons for new batteries with installation for $150-200 depending on which quality level they are offering.

I’m replacing the battery with an energizer AGM from Costco. It’s $240 cad and they’ll replace it if it goes bad in the first few years.

• Like 1