2005 5.3 lifter replacement

Michael Humphres

Question

I have a 2005 Avalanche VIN Z 5.3. 307k miles. Has sat for 3 years and has a pretty obvious lifter tick. As far as the research has gone so far it seems to be a pretty simple job. Going to replace lifters and basic tune up. The only confusion I’ve come across is wether or not the heads need to come off. I know they do on anything with AFM but not on anything earlier. Any help would be appreciated. 

2 answers to this question

You will soon see why I hate the LS engines. Sure, they run great (when they're not ticking or misfiring ... or melting down due to a .30 cent o-ring ...), but boy were they engineered by an A-hole.

Heads have to come off for ANY lifter replacement. Book time is north of 20 hours for this! Absolute engineering idiocy at its finest. This is why I always recommend a crate engine rather than tearing into these. Imagine going through all that work, only replacing the bad lifters, buttoning it back up, and 2 days later the customer is back screaming about his $1,500 he just spent, and the problem is back worse than before. This story plays over and over again across the nation. Lots of guys won't even open one of these up - they'll tell the customer take a crate, or take it elsewhere.

I'll take the old school 350 or 454 ... or even a 302, 351, or 460 over any LS any day of the week! They can be built to run comparably to a stock LS with MUCH more low end torque, and they'll last twice as long.