2500 HD 4x4 owners with snow plow prep come in here!!!

Hi Guys.  Just looking to do a little bench-marking and need your input!  

I recently bought a barely used (11k miles) 2015 2500HD 4x4 6.0 crew cab standard bed with the snow plow prep pkg.  While climbing underneath it I noticed the bolts that adjust the torsion bars are set differently (one turned in more than the other).  The previous owner obviously adjusted them to get additional height in the front and even before noticing the offset in the bolts I noticed right away the front end is higher than stock.  I actually think the stance is perfect....still quite a bit of rake but nice height in the front.

Anyway, this made me wonder about the front end lift side to side so I measured it.  Looks like I am off about 3/16" from being level (measured from floor to top of fender above front tires).  That brings me to this:

• If you have a similar truck and it is STOCK can you please tell me how your bolts sit relative to the frame cross member that supports the keys/bolts?  This will tell me how far my bolts are off from stock.
  • How do your trucks measure side to side?  Mine is off about 3/16" but I bet brand new trucks are not all even.  What is normal or expected?
  • With the condition I am describing should I even worry about it?  With my OCD it will be tough for me to leave it alone but even more than that I don't want to start adjusting things and end up with a bigger project.

FYI my truck goes straight down the road, my steering wheel is centered, and the tire wear is perfect.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Mike in Michigan

I have a new (well it was) 2015 2500HD 4x4 6.0 with just 20K miles on it.  Almost immediately I had my local garage mechanic adjust (raise) both sides.  Honestly, he used a Stanley® measuring tape and checked it about four times.  I have a Fisher Plow.  These trucks seem to come delivered with the front end down.  I challenged that on several fronts.  The prevailing reason was if you buy a 2500, you're probably using it a lot for towing and/or hauling weight in the bed.  This effectively lowers the rear end and makes the truck level.  I just didn't like the tipped front end look.  I also got a stiffer ride much like the Ford F250 this vehicle replaced.  There' is about 3" of adjustment available but beware of the bottoming-out issue.  I lowered the 70PSI factory tire air pressure and set it to ~50PSI all around.  The dealer reprogrammed my tire pressure monitor body control module for me.  Tire wear seems to be very good.  Mileage per gallon is about 12-14 but I don't drive all that much.  I'm just one person's perspective; I'm sure you'll get more.  All the best from Maine.

Webshopper, thanks for the input!  You and I have similar trucks and we both agree that the front end looks better raised a little.  I will take a closer look at my A arms but I don't believe I am close to bottoming out.  If you get a chance can you peek under your truck to see if your torsion key bolt heads are turned in the same amount?   I saw in a few videos online that the bolts can end up in different positions to get a level front end just based on the side to side geometry of the truck.

I'm not that close to bottoming out either.  With recent hip surgery I won't be climbing under my truck any time soon much less climbing into the thing too quickly.  I seem to remember looking underneath just after it was changed (like an hour after I got home) and it all seemed good to me.  He showed my the measurements before and after and I watched him do it with a pneumatic wrench.  It literally took him 5 minutes.  It's OK if the bolts are a bit different as long as symmetry, air pressure, tire wear, etc. are within your personal tolerances.  The biggest thing for me was the ride is much stiffer unless the bed is loaded with loam, gravel, etc.  The plow on the front just makes it that much heavier so the ride is horrible but plowing isn't about the ride.  You can adjust these yourself.  I didn't know that at the time.  It is easy to do.  Just count the turns and make incremental adjustments, document, and test drive for a week of two.  Put a dab of White-Out on one of the side surfaces of the hex ends to make counting easier.  Go for it!

• Like 1