2010 Silverado brake/gauge cluster issue

Good afternoon,

I’ve searched multiple resources and have a problem with my truck that I just can’t seem to put my finger on. Recently when I brake to come to a stop, if either of my turn indicators are on, my cluster seems to freeze. The the turn indicator sticks, the speedo and tac needles freeze, everything just stops. Everything seems to correct itself and return to normal once I take my foot off the brake and it only does this when my turn signals are on although it doesn’t do it every time. Additionally, what’s really odd is that although my cluster freezes, my turn signal on the exterior is still flashing as normal. 

I don’t think my year utilizes a “Flasher” module which was my first guess. I’ve read of similar issues although not identical symptoms as being the result of a faulty tow harness and my first thought is a bad ground somewhere, but don’t know where to start. 

Anyone experienced this, or heard of it? 

Edited by SanDiegoSilverado

Sometimes cheap LED bulbs or tail lights will cause feed back issues with the BCM. Have you done any modifications that may have caused un intended circumstances? Just throwing it out there. I work really weird hours, and sometimes cant reply for awhile, but some on the forums may be able to help with more information. This link may help you better understand how the electrical and lighting system works. Go to electrical and look for description and operation https://www.gmupfitter.com/pages/body-builder-manuals

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, citydriver said:

Sometimes cheap LED bulbs or tail lights will cause feed back issues with the BCM. Have you done any modifications that may have caused un intended circumstances? Just throwing it out there. I work really weird hours, and sometimes cant reply for awhile, but some on the forums may be able to help with more information. This link may help you better understand how the electrical and lighting system works. Go to electrical and look for description and operation https://www.gmupfitter.com/pages/body-builder-manuals

Very interesting. I have LED reverse bulbs as well as LED bed lights and license plate lights; however, they're Sylvania at least the reverse lights are for sure, so not what I would consider to be cheap. I also have LED headlights from Super Bright LEDs, but I think they're highly regarded. Perhaps I should try swapping my reverse lights out for incandescent? 

Tail gate light bars sometimes mess with the lighting system also, if not installed correctly, or even the control board for the light bar goes bad without you realizing it. I would start by returning the stock bulbs into the tail lights and recheck. While you are in there take a good look at the lighting harness and check for damage. I  don't mean anything by using the word "cheap" it's just that sometimes when you put LED bulbs in place of standard bulbs, the resistance values of the circuit changes and causes the BCM to miss read  and causes issues with it's intended operation. It usually takes more research and parts to correct it.  The electrical systems on newer vehicles can be quite the pain when doing even simple mods. Good luck. I need to go into work now.

• Like 1