3.08 gearing to 3.73s will I need the carrier as well other than just the gears ??

18 minutes ago, Sergio5.3 said:

Truck is very sluggish off the line with the oem 3.08s on its stock 20s

upgrading to 3.73s will I also need the carrier? 
From what I’ve read 3.73s will get it off the line pretty quick, can anyone confirm that ?

Welcome to the site.

How about a little information about your truck?

Greetings. I believe the carrier split is 4.11 check some web vendors. If memory correct. New gears need pinion depth shiming with a tool and measuring. Used gears have shims allreay set and on pinion. You will need carrier shims to set backlash. Just a new crush sleve done it b4. Have you tried manually shifting the trans to see if acceleration improves.. Are your tires taller than stock? Lowering overall ratio.?

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site.

How about a little information about your truck?

2016 Silverado 2wd single cab lowered 

completely stock on oem 20s stock tires 

looking to swap gearing to 3.73s due to real sluggish low end 

3 minutes ago, Old wrench ? said:

Greetings. I believe the carrier split is 4.11 check some web vendors. If memory correct. New gears need pinion depth shiming with a tool and measuring. Used gears have shims allreay set and on pinion. You will need carrier shims to set backlash. Just a new crush sleve done it b4. Have you tried manually shifting the trans to see if acceleration improves.. Are your tires taller than stock? Lowering overall ratio.?

Hey my tires are the factory sIze that came on its oem 20s it a single cab 5.3 completely stock motor wise  

yea when I manually shift it it’s way better off low end 

36 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Just the gears and bearings. The G80 locker stays the same for the rear.

If 4WD you'll need gears for the front too.

Will the 3.73s make a difference for low end ? Very sluggish as is at the moment 

worth the swap?

Welcome to the forum!  Your stock combination gives you great fuel efficiency and should have plenty of power to get you first through the intersection when so desired.  (unless you are referring to racing)  I'd make sure your truck is working as it should before tearing it apart.  Perhaps test drive another truck with similar specs.

18 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Welcome to the forum!  Your stock combination gives you great fuel efficiency and should have plenty of power to get you first through the intersection when so desired.  (unless you are referring to racing)  I'd make sure your truck is working as it should before tearing it apart.  Perhaps test drive another truck with similar specs.

Yes the trucks working perfectly fine 

I just feel it real sluggish 

so I’ve read that 3.73s will make a difference 

coming from a 17 ram RT 8spd with the 3.92 gearing that would get off the line real quick for a stock truck 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sergio5.3 said:

Yes the trucks working perfectly fine 

I just feel it real sluggish 

so I’ve read that 3.73s will make a difference 

coming from a 17 ram RT 8spd with the 3.92 gearing that would get off the line real quick for a stock truck 

You could always go with 4:10 and fill up with gas twice a week.

I had a 3:42 in my 14 with a 6.2 and a 6 speed, it was quick for being a CCSB 4WD with 20's. Had a 2004 "shorty" SCSB with the 5.3, 4 speed, and the 3:73, fun truck.

31 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

You could always go with 4:10 and fill up with gas twice a week.

I had a 3:42 in my 14 with a 6.2 and a 6 speed, it was quick for being a CCSB 4WD with 20's. Had a 2004 "shorty" SCSB with the 5.3, 4 speed, and the 3:73, fun truck.

I do lots of free way driving so 4.10s wouldn’t be the best route 

which is why I’m asking if 3.73s will make a big difference or not worth the $$

I could see it if you were pulling a load. For daily driver ??? . The 90s were about corprate fuel economy numbers and emissions . If its a 4l60 maybe a trans shift kit would improve shift pattern and power .