Muffler swap, flapper+resonator screen delete

Dropped my truck off this morning to get the resonator screens removed. Cutting the section out containing the three screens on each side, welding in 3” pipe . Its roughly a 12” section on each side.

Flapper was removed with stock muffler and a black widow put in place. Just picked it up. It sounds way better with those screens removed , and I also feel like the truck has more bottom end with screens removed .

Driving at 40km/h , 60km/h and 80km/h. No drone whatsoever. Its shockingly silent in the cab at cruising speeds. 

starting thread to upload some videos after work.  

22 hours ago, Chips said:

Dropped my truck off this morning to get the resonator screens removed. Cutting the section out containing the three screens on each side, welding in 3” pipe . Its roughly a 12” section on each side.

Flapper was removed with stock muffler and a black widow put in place. Just picked it up. It sounds way better with those screens removed , and I also feel like the truck has more bottom end with screens removed .

Driving at 40km/h , 60km/h and 80km/h. No drone whatsoever. Its shockingly silent in the cab at cruising speeds. 

starting thread to upload some videos after work.  

Really, no drone at all? That's awesome!

Do you have a link to the black widow muffler you purchased?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beefin06 said:

Really, no drone at all? That's awesome!

Do you have a link to the black widow muffler you purchased?

Yeah, I can only speak to my truck. With the duals rear exit . I know some trucks have side exits. But these trucks are well sound insulated. Quiet in the cab.

https://www.blackwidowexhaust.com/mufflers/Race-Venom-3-offset-offset-SKU-BWOOR-33-p108144418

Edited by Chips

7 hours ago, Chips said:

Yeah, I can only speak to my truck. With the duals rear exit . I know some trucks have side exits. But these trucks are well sound insulated. Quiet in the cab.

https://www.blackwidowexhaust.com/mufflers/Race-Venom-3-offset-offset-SKU-BWOOR-33-p108144418

Awesome! Thank you.

I am leaning towards a similar change to my 6.2 HC.  Is there any down side of removing the valves? Codes?  I'm not sure what muffler I will choose...I am a fan of Magnaflow.  Are there any inherent flaws to the rest of the OE cat-back system other than the screen, the valves and the quiet muffler? 

39 minutes ago, AEmedic said:

I am leaning towards a similar change to my 6.2 HC.  Is there any down side of removing the valves? Codes?  I'm not sure what muffler I will choose...I am a fan of Magnaflow.  Are there any inherent flaws to the rest of the OE cat-back system other than the screen, the valves and the quiet muffler? 

No down side, the flapper should be removed when changing the muffler. The muffler is big, heavy and restrictive . You wont get an aggressive tone with the screens in place , if you have the resonator screens if not and you have an actual resonator then the same thing, it should be removed unless you are after a milder tone.

All these components are after any sensors so no issues with codes or anything.

Ill post some pictures of how she looks.

20 hours ago, Chips said:

No down side, the flapper should be removed when changing the muffler. The muffler is big, heavy and restrictive . You wont get an aggressive tone with the screens in place , if you have the resonator screens if not and you have an actual resonator then the same thing, it should be removed unless you are after a milder tone.

All these components are after any sensors so no issues with codes or anything.

Ill post some pictures of how she looks.

Is yours a 6.2?  Is yours 3" pipe throughout?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EricTheRed said:

I think he has a 5.3L because he only mentions one flapper valve and the resonating screens. 

Thank you.  I did determine what the 6.2L has.  It is 3.5” that necks down to 3” at the flappers at the inlet and outlet of the muffler then back to 3.5” till it reaches the Y at the axle.

Very tempted as well, I've found an AFE for $110 (out of stock) at American Trucks) and a Magnaflow for $178 (in stock), debating on if the Magnaflow is the better option, but it's just a straight pipe????  Otherwise, just worried about the sound with the variable cylinder deactivation !

3 hours ago, Spyderwebb said:

Very tempted as well, I've found an AFE for $110 (out of stock) at American Trucks) and a Magnaflow for $178 (in stock), debating on if the Magnaflow is the better option, but it's just a straight pipe????  Otherwise, just worried about the sound with the variable cylinder deactivation !

So it depend what you are looking for . I can tell you the 2020 trucks are way way quieter than the 2018 . Im not quite sure what they did .

For myself I probably should have straight piped it. My Black Widow setup is nice and fairly loud. But its still not near my 2018 with the same exact setup.

im convinced you just cant make them loud , maybe a straight pipe?

With the resonance pipes removed and the flapper removed , Black Widow Race Venom it sounds good, not loud at all unless cold start, in cab noise is noticeable at 100 km/h to 115 km/h after 115 it goes away. Under that or over that range its quiet in cab.

• Thanks 1