Tow question

This is a repost from the GMC forum. Didn't realize there is a dedicated towing thread.

Hello all, have a question about towing. Recently purchased a 2011 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L V8 K5L HD Cooling Pkg in the Crew Cab. I see from the manual that max trailer weight is 9500lb and max tongue weight with weight distribution is 1100. We are getting a camper and the one we like is 31 ft with 5635lb dry weight and GVWR of 7350 (don't imagine ever getting near that). The only issue I possibly see is that the camper has a 800 lb tongue weight and I'm trying to figure out if that's going to be a deal breaker for payload capacity (as in putting family/dog/other stuff in truck bed and cab). Anyone have any insight?

I feel like I should be fine towing this but just wanted to see if anyone on here has had experience or knows way more than I do on this and will most definitely be taking it slow and steady on trips watching engine temps. Thanks for any input.

Gordon

Tongue weight counts against the vehicle's carrying capacity.

As far as not believing you'll get anywhere near the GTWR, you might be surprised. A couple of bottles of propane and a variety of gear and you'll chew up that 1600lbs quicker than you realize.

Keep in mind that many people will move cargo from the truck to the trailer because only a percentage of it ends up getting carried by the tow vehicle (instead of all of it).

1 hour ago, Gordon Jacobs said:

This is a repost from the GMC forum. Didn't realize there is a dedicated towing thread.

Hello all, have a question about towing. Recently purchased a 2011 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3L V8 K5L HD Cooling Pkg in the Crew Cab. I see from the manual that max trailer weight is 9500lb and max tongue weight with weight distribution is 1100. We are getting a camper and the one we like is 31 ft with 5635lb dry weight and GVWR of 7350 (don't imagine ever getting near that). The only issue I possibly see is that the camper has a 800 lb tongue weight and I'm trying to figure out if that's going to be a deal breaker for payload capacity (as in putting family/dog/other stuff in truck bed and cab). Anyone have any insight?

I feel like I should be fine towing this but just wanted to see if anyone on here has had experience or knows way more than I do on this and will most definitely be taking it slow and steady on trips watching engine temps. Thanks for any input.

Gordon

Take a look at the tire placard in your driver's door jamb.  It will show you the cargo capacity that you can't exceed for your specific truck.  Take your tongue away from that number and you will know what you've got left for payload.  

This is what the label looks like:

Tire Tech Information - Tire And Loading Information (Tire Placard)

Edited by newdude