Tires with stock wheels

Hey guys, I've searched high and low and read all the multiple tire threads and got a lot of great info but I have a specific question about tire size on stock wheels with a level.

I've got a 2017 Sierra denali with stock wheels. I'm going to do a 2" level and put some AT tires on. One shop I called says to go with a 285/55/20, another says 275/60/20. They both said neither will rub. 

Does it really matter what I go with? they are so similar in size. Am I looking at any real difference between the two as far as traction/how it rides/looks? I know for sure that I DON'T want the tire to rub at all or to stick out past the wheel well at all, but I don't think the 285s would on stock wheels, is that right? 

Also, is going with one of these over the stock 275/55/20 even going to look any better? Considering just sticking with stock size...

I was originally thinking 275/60/20 since a friend has the same truck with those without issue, but the shop that said 285/55/20 is the "reputable" shop locally

FWIW I am most likely going Toyo AT3

Edited by SS2Sierra
bolded question

12 hours ago, SS2Sierra said:

Hey guys, I've searched high and low and read all the multiple tire threads and got a lot of great info but I have a specific question about tire size on stock wheels with a level.

I've got a 2017 Sierra denali with stock wheels. I'm going to do a 2" level and put some AT tires on. One shop I called says to go with a 285/55/20, another says 275/60/20. They both said neither will rub. 

Does it really matter what I go with? they are so similar in size. Am I looking at any real difference between the two as far as traction/how it rides/looks? I know for sure that I DON'T want the tire to rub at all or to stick out past the wheel well at all, but I don't think the 285s would on stock wheels, is that right? 

Also, is going with one of these over the stock 275/55/20 even going to look any better? Considering just sticking with stock size...

I was originally thinking 275/60/20 since a friend has the same truck with those without issue, but the shop that said 285/55/20 is the "reputable" shop locally

FWIW I am most likely going Toyo AT3

Initially, I did a 2" level and installed 33x18x12.5s on stock UCAs and stock wheels with minimal rubbing - not good at full lock, though.
Went to a 3" level and a 1.5" body lift with Motofab UCAs and a rear 1" block lift and a 1.5" rear spring lift wih 35x18x12.5s - all is good.
Still stock wheels on the 3" level, just Chevy black 18s.
BFG All terrains, BTW.
IMG_0129.thumb.jpg.7ffd84e02212e7f25af800179113d835.jpgIMG_0142.thumb.jpg.655fc4fc79a2a076d5e68a1d706532a3.jpg

Edited by MikeBMW