Lower Gears for Better Towing

• 3 weeks later...

I think you hit the nail on the head, if you are concerned about high rpm, slow down climbing the steepest grades. As you are well aware loaded semi trucks can sometimes be WAY under the posted min speed. So why beat the eyes out of truck to attempt to maintain an arbitrary mph? What do you figure the time lost is climbing Loveland pass at 40 mph vs 55 mph? Its about 7 miles right? So 40 mph is a mile about every 1. 30 sec. And 55 mph is a mile in about 1. 05 sec. So you will lose around 3.25 to 3.5 minutes in your ascent. It probably took that long to write this. My point being speed up a mountain is irrelevant to anything other than ones ego. Speaking of ego someone with more time on their hands will probably check the, math in my head, on those calculations!! I think they are close enough to demonstrate my point?

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
On 7/25/2021 at 11:13 PM, Rabbittown said:

A few weeks ago, my wife and I decided to upgrade to a 12k fifth wheel. It’s well within the specs of my truck on pin weight and towing capacity. We just got back from our maiden voyage, and, overall, I’m pleased with the performance of my truck. However, on some of the steeper grades, it did have trouble maintaining speeds and was above 5000 RPM’s. 

I love my truck and have no real desire to go back to a diesel and all their headaches. But, my wife and I have a couple of cross country trips planned to Acadia, Yellowstone, and the Tetons, and I’m concerned about some of the grades I might encounter. I’ve considered having a local shop that I trust upgrade me to 4:30 gears and putting in a cold air intake to increase torque. 

Has anyone considered something similar? Am I being paranoid? Do you think the change in gear ratio would make a big difference?

A few years back i had a F250 ford with 460 CI engine it came with 3.54 rear gear and i thought if i put 4.10 gears in it would pull my race car trailer better but i was wrong it didn't pull any better it just used a lot more gas

• Like 1