Mister.Red.Herring's 2004 Silverado Extended Cab

Jonathan Herring

I recently bought a 2004 Silverado, 5.3, Extended Cab.  I'm the second owner - the first owner put a bit over 154,000 miles on the truck.  As far as I can tell, the truck has been treated well.  I did find a list of regular oil changes in the back of the owner's manual - and it does appear to be clean.  

But .... I've never bought a vehicle with this many miles on it!  Prior to buying the Silverado, I had a 2004 Colorado, that I purchased with about 14,000 miles on it, back in 2006.  Sadly, it was totaled with just over 177,000 miles on it.  Grrrr....

Things the truck NEEDS:

• Brakes - and I think new rotors
  • Shocks
  • Needs tires and alignment
  • Fluid Change all the way around (differential, transmission, radiator flush, brake flush)
  • Transmission lines need to be replaced as there is a very slight leak (seeping) at one of the crimps.  Might as well replace both
  • Tires
  • PRND123 lights no longer function
  • Dash Panel has at least one light out
  • Radio has at least one light out
  • Light control multifunction switch appears to be flaky - dash lights will suddenly go very dim or out all together
  • Headlights have some hazing/fogging
  • Fog lights are just sitting in the holes - the lights look OEM, but the switch isn't OEM and the relay for the fog lights is not present.  So they are either on or off and don't automatically shut off when high beams are on.  

Things that I am considering for the truck:

• About those brakes - should I upgrade or should I just go OEM?
  • If I'm thinking about upgrading the brakes, I'd really need to think about larger wheels, correct?
  • Leveling kit, maybe?
  • I'd really like to swap out the seats for either leather seats with the full center console, or at least swap out the jump seat for the full console
  • Running boards - as requested by the Fam.
  • Spray in bed liner, why not?
  • what else ...?  

Where to start?

IMG_6525.thumb.JPG.df9a2f5566a58ced83ad0c7d0c3e0daf.JPG

IMG_6642.JPG

IMG_6646.JPG

IMG_6647.JPG

IMG_6648.JPG