03 Silverado Duramax Electrical

For the past couple weeks, the cluster on my 03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax has been intermittently dying and coming back. Yesterday, on my way to work, same thing, only now the power windows and door locks weren't working. It wasn't until I got off work about 0200 this morning, as I was walking up to my truck, that I saw the radio was on... With the truck off and key out. 

Tried starting, and yeah, dead. Everytime I clicked the key over, the radio would shut off to restart, then when removing the key, the radio would turn on and remain on. 

I've heard multiple people, and mechanics at our shop say it could be the ignition, or fuses, batteries, or the head unit itself. 

Ideas?...

Before I go ripping it apart and spending money I'm trying to save?...

2 hours ago, Threeper said:

For the past couple weeks, the cluster on my 03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax has been intermittently dying and coming back. Yesterday, on my way to work, same thing, only now the power windows and door locks weren't working. It wasn't until I got off work about 0200 this morning, as I was walking up to my truck, that I saw the radio was on... With the truck off and key out. 

Tried starting, and yeah, dead. Everytime I clicked the key over, the radio would shut off to restart, then when removing the key, the radio would turn on and remain on. 

I've heard multiple people, and mechanics at our shop say it could be the ignition, or fuses, batteries, or the head unit itself. 

Ideas?...

Before I go ripping it apart and spending money I'm trying to save?...

4 minutes ago, Niners 365 said:

My 03 S10 4x4 and Impala had the intermittent guage issue as well. Found out the gouges are on a cluster board. Too a remanufactured board to solve problem. They sell the little diodes for speed and gas etc, but unless you have microscopic eyes, it's a pain to try and resoder. 

I would definitely start with fuses, replace any that are burnt out. Replace even if you might have a doubt about it. Those hairline cracks are hard to see between fuse poles of it's by one of the poles. Then move onto checking wiring and make sure you have no loose connections or grounds. This may mean for you to have to pull out radio and check to see if the connections came loose.

If you have done all that and still have the issues. Then pull the fuses for the ignition. If your saying the radio comes on even with ignition is off and key is out. This should kill power to ignition, then see if your radio comes ok n without key in it. If it does, then it's not ignition. If I don't come on, then I would agree and your ignition is the issue. Keep us updated..

I ended up replacing the main battery, which gave me charge to attempt to start. However, developed an issue with anti-theft, which promptly killed the engine when it started. I checked every fuse, and found 18 not receiving power. 

Since the radio wasn't turning off, I decided to pull the radio fuse. It was fine, but once I pulled it everything else started working fine. 

I'm hoping it's one of two issues: 

Either the radio (aftermarket) is bad - I'm not sure how that would mess with the anti-theft - or my subwoofer amplifier (running 3500W audio setup) was drawing way too much power on a cold day and drained the battery. 

I bought an Optima Yellow Top to replace the auxiliary battery, and when I install it, will replace the radio fuse to see what happens. 

Will update.

13 hours ago, shakenfake said:

Aftermarket radios constantly give these headaches. No joke I would pull it if you don't trust it. I have seen this happen before

I would agree with pulling the Radio. If it is an aftermarket radio, it can cause alot of problems. Since you narrowed it down to either fuse or radio. Take out the radio and put fuse back in. If everything reacts correctly, you have identified your problem. 

2003 pretty much have to go with a radio that came in those vehicles at the time..