Leaking valve cover gasket?

2017 5.3 106,000 mi. Is it a normal thing for the valve cover gasket to suddenly start leaking? I started it up and drove about 30 minutes to work and when I parked I smelt burning oil. I checked under the truck and didnt see any oil leakage anywhere so I am figuring it is leaking from the valve cover onto the exhaust manifold and burning. I havent taken the "shielding" off over the top of the valve covers to look and I will have to wait until it warms up and the 16" of snow to melt, maybe come March. Any-who, how hard will it be to change it out? Anything special I would have to do, or is it just as easy as my 90's model pick-up? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Gary

43 minutes ago, Gary Shull said:

2017 5.3 106,000 mi. Is it a normal thing for the valve cover gasket to suddenly start leaking? I started it up and drove about 30 minutes to work and when I parked I smelt burning oil. I checked under the truck and didnt see any oil leakage anywhere so I am figuring it is leaking from the valve cover onto the exhaust manifold and burning. I havent taken the "shielding" off over the top of the valve covers to look and I will have to wait until it warms up and the 16" of snow to melt, maybe come March. Any-who, how hard will it be to change it out? Anything special I would have to do, or is it just as easy as my 90's model pick-up? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Gary

Diagnosing the problem is 99% of the issue.

Guessing is the same as gambling.

So... You a ... gamble'n man?

It's not the valve cover gaskets, its the rear main.

Pull the transmission out and replace the rear main.

Not trying to be a douche, I'm just saying that you must find the problem before you can fix it.

10 hours ago, Supreme Pizza said:

Diagnosing the problem is 99% of the issue.

True! Like I said in my post, I will do that when the weather and ground conditions allow it.

Guessing is the same as gambling.

So... You a ... gamble'n man?

I Do live in Nevada where gambling is legal!

It's not the valve cover gaskets, its the rear main.

And you know this for fact? Did you come over last night during the snow storm and crawl around to confirm this, because I haven't seen any tracks in the snow! Plus there isnt ANY trace of an oil leak either on the ground, bell housing, or on the exhaust down pipe back.

Pull the transmission out and replace the rear main.

I guess you are a "gambling man" unfortunately with your statements above, it sounds like you want to "gamble" with my money!

Not trying to be a douche, I'm just saying that you must find the problem before you can fix it.

Sorry to say but you did come off sounding like a douche, and like I said, I will seek out the problem when weather and conditions permit.

Edited by Gary Shull
Added more info.