Help please

On 1/18/2023 at 7:21 PM, Yaro said:

I have a 2016 suburban lt 2wd it can only tow 

6300 pounds it doesn’t have themax towing package is there anyway i upgrades some parts to get the max towing capacity of 8300? And what would i need 

Its all in the gearing.  "Max Trailer" on 2015-2020 Suburbans was 3.42 gears, larger radiator and the integrated brake controller.  That's it.  

You'd have to re-gear the truck to 3.42 gears (or taller if you really wanted to) and then have the truck tuned to the new gearing.

Radiator is actually the same radiator as a 1500 pickup with 3.42 gears, so you should be able to use your existing radiator.  

However, "legally" per your door jamb/VIN, its still only rated at 6300lbs and doesn't raise the GVWR and GCWR ratings, no matter what you add to it.  If you were towing and involved in an accident, they can find out the GCWR (truck and trailer total weight combined) and if you are over, won't be good on your end insurance wise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, newdude said:

Its all in the gearing.  "Max Trailer" on 2015-2020 Suburbans was 3.42 gears, larger radiator and the integrated brake controller.  That's it.  

You'd have to re-gear the truck to 3.42 gears (or taller if you really wanted to) and then have the truck tuned to the new gearing.

Radiator is actually the same radiator as a 1500 pickup with 3.42 gears, so you should be able to use your existing radiator.  

However, "legally" per your door jamb/VIN, its still only rated at 6300lbs and doesn't raise the GVWR and GCWR ratings, no matter what you add to it.  If you were towing and involved in an accident, they can find out the GCWR (truck and trailer total weight combined) and if you are over, won't be good on your end insurance wise.  

I love practical useful information. 

• Thanks 1

When I used to haul equipment my trucks weren’t registered to haul the equipment by itself. It needed a trailer with trailer brakes. I registered my combination to haul 25K. And was insured to do so. My loaded equipment would be centered to where my dually would drop about an inch. My vacuum over hydraulic brakes could easily stop the load without any help from the truck. I had to stop at weigh stations and have a log book. The truck and trailer had to pass DOT inspection. I think when I stopped hauling 1 tons were advertised to handle 14K. Now there’re advertising 25K. Basically the horsepower and TQ is the difference. My trucks unmodified were tack out at 65 mph in direct drive. The speed limit at the time. You couldn’t pull in overdrive. About 1 million miles pulling no accidents, no tickets, no problems. Trucks today almost drive themselves. 400 or more horsepower, 1000 ft lbs of TQ. Trailer cameras, backup cameras I would’ve thought I died and went to heaven. My last 1/2 ton had as much hp and TQ as my first hauling truck. People have it easy now.

• Like 1