2014 4.3L Ignition timing is -8 to -13 degrees at idle.

I have a few issues I'm diagnosing on this truck I traded for - 2014 4.3L. The previous owner said he changed the Camshaft Position Sensor for a P0341 code. That didn't fix it. I pulled the wiring diagram and checked the wires back to the ECM. One of them had high resistance so I changed the jumper harness and the wiring checks good now. I still have the P0341. I noticed something today I didn't notice before. The ignition timing is currently running -8 to -13 degrees at idle. That doesn't sound right at all. I have AllData DIY and can't find any info on what the timing should be. My initial thought is there is an issue with the VVT system. There are exceptions, but I am not a "throw parts at it and hope it fixes it" kinda guy. I want to be reasonably sure what I'm doing before I do it. The truck has a dead miss w/ no codes or misfires noted on scan tool. I feel like I need to solve the timing issue before worrying about anything else. Do you guys have any recommendations on what to check? Is there a procedure for checking the timing? Any guidance would be helpful. Thank you.

15 hours ago, Mark Duke said:

The ignition timing is currently running -8 to -13 degrees at idle. That doesn't sound right at all.

It may be a few days, but I'll look at my 2015 4.3 and get back to you. Hot idle, right?  

• Like 1

From what I know on these torque based controllers is that it will pull torque to control the idle. So that means it will pull timing away to help control the idle. If there is a misfire at idle the computer is doing it's best smooth things out.

Does the misfire go away at say 1,000rpm?

• Like 1

It does go away, but more like 2,000 to 2,500 RPM. I was thinking the timing might be causing the misfire. Could the misfire be causing the retarded timing at idle? What data do you recommend I look for with the scan tool?

• 10 months later...