2007 gmc GAS leaking from tank.

2007 GMC Sierra, 18K miles.  Went to drive it yesterday and smelled gas around the drivers side.  Finished the errand and the smell was very strong, checked under hood etc and then looked under the truck, gas tank and gas was dripping out from the "shield".  Removed the shield and appears to be running down from the top towards the passenger side.  Searched the internet for possible causes and was amazed at the amount of people that are or had this same problem.

Not sure what I need to do, but I know I should not drive it and it will have be towed.   If it is the tank it is ~ $500   fuel pump about the same, fuel lines ~ $150 and on and on.  Anybody had experience with effecting a repair?  Some drop the tank, others remove the bed.  People in "salt" regions have the whole top rusted and ruptured.  Thanks for any guidance. 

Did a scan P0449

Edited by meebers
update

Pick whatever is easiest for you to do, remove the tank or raise the bed.

It's impossible for us to tell you where your leak is coming from, you will have to do one or the other to see the exact problem.

If you can't do the work, then tow it to a shop or call a mobile mechanic.