Honda Odyssey

KARNUT

Like most GM enthusiasts I have other vehicles. The Odyssey is now my trip vehicle. This question is for transmission experts. Coming up through the gears under light throttle it’s bouncy. Hard throttle or cruising it’s fine. It’s just had a tune up it isn’t the engine. On 2016 models it’s a common complaint. It’s at 127K miles with a recent drain and fill on the fluid at the dealer at 97K miles. I wish you could manually shift but you can’t. The question is more will it live with this condition. I can. I just don’t want to be on the side of the road. Could it be electrical? Again I could live with that. 

It’s amazing how deep you have to dig to find information. Seems to be a service bulletin on this shutter through the gears. A simple reprogram. Also a transmission fluid change is easier than doing an oil change on these. It takes 3 to be really effective. I will do it, it’s that easy. And lastly. After a 350 mile trip to my wife’s physical therapist. I got the same fuel mileage as the CRV. I was careful to precise with my driving. Much to my surprise I couldn’t feel the cylinder deactivation. It was on at least half the time even at 75 MPH. I will apply GRUMPY oil changes on this. Probably at the dealer. The brakes are close I can watch them check them. Paint cleaning, touch up and interior cleaning is progressing.

• Like 1

Ok I’ll conclude this thread. I’m still naive I guess. I believed Honda claims on longevity with fluids. I never had problems with Amsoil transmission fluids I never went that long because of pulling equipment. I know how my daughter drives. If anyone could have went extended on transmission fluid she could. So BS on that. What really chaps my ass it couldn’t be easier to change. Once you know where the drain plug is. You don’t even have to jack it up. With one change it shifts normally. The fluid was definitely tired. The plug was fairly clean. I’ll put about 500 miles on it and repeat. 

During my research on maintenance I found some interesting facts about Hondas maintenance reminders. I mention this only wondering if other manufacturers follow the same guidelines. I know the dealer always recommends earlier service on almost everything. If you’re a do it yourself type and do your own oil changes. And do it earlier than recommended. When resetting your oil monitor you cancel any other remaining monitoring in the system. Interesting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

What do you take that to mean?

The way I read it they expect people to follow the maintenance to a tee. That of course is bogus. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

What do you take that to mean?

Honda is a maintenance minder not just a oil reset timer.  It delays all other services for that particular reset.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, customboss said:

Honda is a maintenance minder not just a oil reset timer.  It delays all other services for that particular reset.  

Mine must be too old. I've never seen anything but the OLM as a service 'reminder' displayed. :dunno:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Mine must be too old. I've never seen anything but the OLM as a service 'reminder' displayed. :dunno:

2006 or 2007 maybe.  My Ridgeline had it and its a method to drive the uninformed to the dealer for confusing service. 

https://www.pattypeckhonda.com/honda-maintenance-minder-a/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well it’s in for brakes now. That should end the 100K maintenance. It owes me 7 months pay back versus car payments. It’ll run about 9K miles in that time. I saw the 05 Elantra this weekend. My grandson stopped by. The AC doesn’t work now. The drivers side window is held up by tape. Kids, if it moves there’re happy. I have to fight the urge to fix it. I taught him to fish it’s up to him. Yea, I check the oil.