Loose Steering Concern.

I have a 2021 GMC 2500 HD. Which is new to me since October, I've noticed when going over speed bumps slowly, or hitting a bump slowly (under 5 miles an hour) the steering wheel gets very loose.

Its almost everytime there is compression in the front shocks that the steering becomes loose.

Normal speeds / highway speeds, every thing is fine and truck handles extremely well.

Anyone know if this is normal? cause for concern?

Thanks in advance.

On 3/1/2023 at 5:21 PM, 2021GMCLP5 said:

I have a 2021 GMC 2500 HD. Which is new to me since October, I've noticed when going over speed bumps slowly, or hitting a bump slowly (under 5 miles an hour) the steering wheel gets very loose.

Its almost everytime there is compression in the front shocks that the steering becomes loose.

Normal speeds / highway speeds, every thing is fine and truck handles extremely well.

Anyone know if this is normal? cause for concern?

Thanks in advance.

My 2022 2500HD does that too over speed bumps.  I guess it's normal is all I can say.  Mine too does fine on the highway at speeds.  So perhaps it's normal.  Hopefully others will chime in as well.

Not normal.  This sounds like the upper intermediate steering shaft problem.  I had mine replaced in late 2021 and it is loose/clunky again.  Going to take it back to the dealer to have it replaced again soon.

See this thread from August 2021 (there may be others):  https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/247377-upper-steering-shaft-replacement-2020-hd/

• Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 9:38 PM, AeroEngineer said:

Not normal.  This sounds like the upper intermediate steering shaft problem.  I had mine replaced in late 2021 and it is loose/clunky again.  Going to take it back to the dealer to have it replaced again soon.

See this thread from August 2021 (there may be others):  https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/247377-upper-steering-shaft-replacement-2020-hd/

Thanks for this. I will look into it, I have been wondering what the Clunk could be that i hear, and its all starting to make sense now.... Part seems inexpensive, and pretty easy to do myself.