Upper Steering Shaft replacement - 2020 HD

Accidently put this in the wrong forum......

My 2020 Sierra HD began having a clunking type sound in the steering. It also seemed to become less responsive, almost like there was excessive play in the steering.  The left front didn't feel connected as well to the road. It was an odd feeling, quite frankly, I thought I was losing my mind. I did take it to the dealer, they test drove it, and found a TSB on it. Upper steering shaft replacement. 

I've not actually read the TSB, so I'm not sure how much it mimicked my symptoms, but the problem seems to be resolved.

I could (and what I demonstrated to my dealer) move the steering wheel right to left and a clunk would sound. Felt like a safety issue.

You guys might want to check your trucks, make sure you don't have this issue. 

Bulletin is #PIT5809: Clunk Pop Rattle Knock Click type noise heard or felt in the steering.  Looks like it came out 01/27/2021. 

PIT5809.pdf

Edited by jeez
Inserted service bulletin

On 2/5/2021 at 7:37 PM, jeez said:

Accidently put this in the wrong forum......

My 2020 Sierra HD began having a clunking type sound in the steering. It also seemed to become less responsive, almost like there was excessive play in the steering.  The left front didn't feel connected as well to the road. It was an odd feeling, quite frankly, I thought I was losing my mind. I did take it to the dealer, they test drove it, and found a TSB on it. Upper steering shaft replacement. 

I've not actually read the TSB, so I'm not sure how much it mimicked my symptoms, but the problem seems to be resolved.

I could (and what I demonstrated to my dealer) move the steering wheel right to left and a clunk would sound. Felt like a safety issue.

You guys might want to check your trucks, make sure you don't have this issue. 

Bulletin is #PIT5809: Clunk Pop Rattle Knock Click type noise heard or felt in the steering.  Looks like it came out 01/27/2021. 

PIT5809.pdf 1.22 MB · 15 downloads

is there anyway you could possibly look at the shaft and see what color the paint mark is?

I want to make sure I get the right one. my dealer has 2 in stock. 

thanks

10 minutes ago, jeez said:

The bulletin says if there is no paint mark, it is not the right one. It's not the color of the mark, it's whether or not it has one, according to the bulletin (bottom of page 1).

i know, but my dealer said there one has a red mark and one has a green mark ??‍♂️

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...