2006 Tahoe Z71 4WD. Front Diff Dry.

Basic info back in February, I noticed some drive train groaning while driving. I checked Transmission, transfer case, and rear diff, all were good. The noise faded away and I kinda forgot about it.  Then this weekend I had a really whiny power steering pump that I replaced, while underneath the front with the skid plate off I decided to check the front diff, dry as a bone.

I refilled it.

So it all seems to be working, I have had and do have 4WD (seldom used). So my question is does anyone know how much and what sort of damage running the front diff dry would cause. For the most part 4WD is only engaged when off road, and I haven't done much of that lately, but when activated it does cause tightness when turning sharp, indicating that it is actually operating.

Depends on how long it was dry for.  Low fluid can even lead to issues.  

Smoked bearings, accelerated or excessive ring and pinion wear are top things.  Do you notice any howling or growling noises that sound like a bearing?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 11:50 AM, newdude said:

Do you notice any howling or growling noises that sound like a bearing?

No it's nice and quiet. I think it did make noise as it was going dry, but got quiet once dry.

11 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Are you saying it is quiet while you are in 4 wheel drive or with it disconnected?  How does it sound in 4 wheel high driving?

So far just driving in 2 Hi.  I'll try out 4Hi and see how that does at street speed. I normally only use 4WD when I'm off road, which I haven't needed to be for a while. But the sound I was hearing previously (thinking when it was going low) while in 2 Hi, has not returned.