Replacement radio with android auto and maps

My 2015 has an 8-inch screen and io5 but doesn't have Android auto so I can't use my maps without going through ONstar ( Not going to pay them for this ) can I get a radio out of a 2016 or 2017 and replace the one in my 2015 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 5:05 PM, ldheller said:

My 2015 has an 8-inch screen and io5 but doesn't have Android auto so I can't use my maps without going through ONstar ( Not going to pay them for this ) can I get a radio out of a 2016 or 2017 and replace the one in my 2015 

It both is and is not that simple.

You can't just take a used radio and pop that in there, if that's what you are thinking.

What is needed is both the radio and the HMI module.  White Audio and Media (WAMS) does these.  They are all programmed to your VIN.  Android Auto / Apple CarPlay Upgrade Kit 2014-2015 - White Automotive & Media Services (whiteautoandmedia.com)

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Yep you are exactly right. So I bought a used radio and the Hmi from a 2018 wrecked truck. The radio worked just fine except it showed on the screen just like the one i removed. So I installed the HMI and that is when it came up locked, Bought a small unit that was made to correct this. and it worked great.  The only thing, was the map GPS didn't work so I had to put a splitter on the OnStar antenna That took care of it now I have a factory radio with Android auto car play and Maps that I don't have to pay OnStar for. Oh, the unit that I bought is called OBDGENE. Oh by the way I didn't have to spend 900 dollars for this either got around 350 for everything

Edited by ldheller