I guess NewbieZ71............

MountaineerTom

.......Wants to marry me since he gets worried every time I go away. LOL

Yes I was out camping this whole week, Not workin'. Monday My Boy Scout Troop went on a rafting trip on the lower New River in West Virginia, was a whole lotta fun.

Wednesday we took a 30 mile bike trip on the Greenbrier River Trail. It was fun but it didn't ttake me long to find trouble.

We started  on this Grassy, Switchback (Named Clover Lick) road going down, So I'm flying down the switchbacks, Faster than I should've been (Bad judgement call on my part)  thinkin', "Wow this is cool, I'm really going fast!". But then I swerved to miss a low branch and it was all over.

I hit a rut when I swerved and got a bad bounce and I flipped off of my bike and tumbled down the road for 10 feet. Bruised ribs, tore up elbow, and a scrape on my leg.

The bike isn't pretty niether. :sad:

I made it down alright,  and made it 15 miles (it was no bed of roses niether) to the halfway point where we had a Adult wait for us with our lunches (and a Vehicle just in-case somebody tired out early . The Adult leader switched  places w/my mom (She's an Adult Leader too), and she drove me to our next campsite, and we waited for everbody else to show them where camp was.

Yesterday was just a "do what you WANT to do" day.

Everybody did their own thing.

All in all it was a fun trip, and I had a good time. :)

MountaineerTom,

I don't remember what the place was but I can tell you that we Rafted w/ NARR (North American River Runners). And we camped at their headquarters just off of Route 19.

And we passed a Sign that said 20 Miles to Summersville :wink: .

Cool, I think I know where NARR is.  It sounds familiar.  It's strange, I grew up there in Summersville, but never went Rafting.  Wish I would have though.  Maybe someday when I go on leave.

Glad you had fun, hope your damage isn't too painful.

I think your getting a little weird on me now Jeremy!

Just worried you were out working to hard and having no fun but found out you were out having ALL fun and not working at all......sounds like you would have been better off (or at least healthier) by going to work! Anyway, welcome back....

I grew up in NC, and took a rafting trip on the New River when I was in scouts too.  Been 20 years, but isn't the New River the oldest or second oldest river in the country?  And doesn't it flow north? My memory is a little fuzzy, but did you get any history info on your trip General?

Diguout,

It does flow northward.  The head waters are near Blowing Rock, NC and ends where it joins with the Gauley River, in Gauley Bridge, West Virginia, where it forms the Kanawha River, which then flows to the Ohio River.  It is one of the oldest rivers in North America, and I think in the world.  I grew up very close to that area in central WV.  My mom, dad, and my brother still live there.  Beautiful country, I miss the mountains.

Bcmpr.jpg

(Edited by MountaineerTom 99Z71 at 5:21 pm on June 30, 2001)

Thanks Tom!

Been so long, but not too many (what, 1 or 2?) rivers that flow north, thought that seemed right.  I went to college in the town next to Blowing Rock and actually worked in a pizza place in BR, for beer and tuition money back in '89-'92.  

Next 2 years I worked some in your neck of the woods, Beckley, Bluefield, White Sulpher Springs, Oak Hill and Welch.  Welch is so far back in the hills they must bring in sunshine by packmule!  One of my college roommates was from N. Charleston, too.  All that guy did was listen to Lynard Skynard, play cards and drink Jack Daniels, ie the perfect roommate!

Hope your Uncle lets you get back home to the Appalachains for peak week in October-  take care

Archived