Dash bezel

Well, I got the jpcustoms steering wheel audio kit and have to paint the piece to match the interior.  And, well, I realized that from the dashboard, dash bezel, steering wheel cover, steering wheel back, and the wheel itself they all have different shades.  So, instead of color matching it I decided to just paint it gloss black, since the switches on it are black.  And I figured, why stop there.  I wanted to get another bezel and paint that black as well.  I figured get an extra one incase I mess up.  But I took it off last night and got the number, but when I try to order it it shows it as in an invalid part number, WTF?  Well, I guess, could someone else check theres out?  Also, the other bezels that people get like from the caddy's, are they smooth?  If so, I may just get one of those, it will save a lot of painting work.

Any help is appreciated.

I'll have to tell you when I put it in.  I'll be doing it saturday afternoon, just so long as I can paint that piece up.  But the install looks complicated at first, but I read through the instructions a few times and talked to Jason and it seems like a snap.  The only thing that looks hard is getting around the airbag, I am very apprehensive about hitting something wrong and setting it off.  The kit came w/ about 20 some pages of instructions and it's well laid out.  Don't worry, I'll get some pics up on my site when I finally install it.  The install looks like it will take 3 hours and most of it is just unhooking all of the airbag stuff.  As long as the install goes smoothly, I'd say that it's a good investment.  

I really hope the weather gets better or there's no way I'm doing it tomorrow.  I have to paint the piece still and right now it's cold and rainy.

a friend of mine used to work on the welding robots that make the airbag inflator

they are verry stable a direct 12v will only burn it out without going off, it takes a pulsing current on a small scale there is a verry small window that these things will respond to

not saying u should not be careful with it but just some info

think I can convience you to post some pics of the process? especially the color the unit comes in and how much u have to mutilate the factory wireing?

if u have a lot of time on your hands (yea I know nobody does) maybe a blow by blow?

thanks for the info, I know that most of the instructions he has on disconnecting everything is just a safety precaution, but I don't want to accidentally set it off which will cost me money to replace and is ver dangerous especially if I was poking around by it w/a pliers or screwdriver.  I know when air bags first came out they would go off when people just bumped into the back of there garage.  I got into a 25mph accident w/ my truck where it incurred 8grand in damage and the airbag didn't go off.  They say it wasn't enough of an impact, but I think that they are full of you know what.

think I can convience you to post some pics of the process? especially the color the unit comes in and how much u have to mutilate the factory wireing?

if u have a lot of time on your hands (yea I know nobody does) maybe a blow by blow?

That isn't a problem, if you look on my website, I pretty much take pics of all the installs I do.  They are great for showing others and are a good reference.  As for mutilating the wires, I think you only splice into 4 of the stereo wires and replace the spinny mechanism (can't think of the name) in you steering wheel.  It's a really clean kit.  Also, I'm going to post pics on how to paint the dash pieces.  As far as the blow by blow pics, I'll do probably 10-15 shots, which should convince you if you can and can not do it (trust me, I saw the pics and I was scared at first), but if you order it, it will come w/ a lot of instructions and pics.

I did some looking into it and I guess my part number is outdated, despite the fact I copied it off the back of my dash bezel.  But I found the new one and the one for the Denali bezel (15150964) and the price difference is like 5 bucks.  But the Denali appears to be smooth so that will me 10x easier to paint it.  I'm going to order that bezel this weekend when I place my order for the american bowtie stuff (mervz, need some numbers).  I'll keep you guys posted after I do the install as far as how difficult it really was and throw some pictures up on my site and in here.

But, as for tools it will only take simple hand tools, but I did need to buy a steering wheel puller which cost me a whopping 8 dollars from checker auto.

Archived