Painting mirrors update

Well today i went to a local autobody shop (seems like a good place they fixed a big scratch on my tailgate and hardly charged me also it doesnt hurt the owner has a new sierra)

Owner wasnt there but i was told it wouldnt cost much.  Paint would be the only major (and he said thats not bad) price.   I am going back tomorrow to talk with the owner to see what he can do.  They are going to remove the plastic chrome pieces paint then reinstall so i wont be left truckless for a day or two.  

I also plan on putting some of that 3m stuff to protect from rock chips.

This will all hopefully be done in about a week and a half along with possibly a crank on the torsion bars to level out the front as much as i can (look at the pic in my sig kinda rides low in the front)

If the price is good on the mirrors i may go ahead and order the billet grill i have been looking at also

CANT WAIT FOR MY VACATION!!!

Ryan,

Cool mod.  Much cheaper than buying Tahoe mirror replacements, just to get rid of the chrome. How are the chrome inserts removed?  I'd like to do this mod myself.

I got an estimate yesterday for smoothing and painting the front bumper cover (mine's black and textured).  ?.  Sounds reasonable enough.  I may just do this, too, although I'm reluctant for one reason only.  If the paint doesn't stick well, then there's the constant touch-up issue.  I discussed this with the custom shop owner and he said he has an adhesion promoter that will prevent that from happening.  Anyone familiar with this?

From a previous post

"The plastic insert is held in place with clips and double sided tape. If you VERY carefully insert a flat screwdriver under the chrome or colored cap, you'll be able to slowly pry it up. Feel around with the screwdriver for the tape and push the blade through the adhesive & it'll come off easier (probably heating it up with a hair dryer would help, too). Some of the 4 plastic clips might break when you remove the cap, but the double sided tape does most of the holding, so don't worry about it. Just be real careful & go around the perimeter of the cap several times with the screwdriver until it comes off. The plastic is quite durable - I wasn't too gentle with it, and the only damage was to the little clips on the reverse side."

I do not know what they are going to do.  I have to talk to the owner about that.  A few guys have done it on their own they applied some sort of adhesive then sprayed the paint on.

Ill let you know more details when i find out tonight or tomorrow

Thanks.  I'd appreciate any details.  If possible, I'd like to leave the inserts intact, sand the chrome finish (these are plastic inserts, right?), apply the adhesion promoter (not really familiar with this stuff), then paint the inserts satin black myself.

My ultimate goal is to have (nearly) everything on my truck be either color-matched or black.  I've already removed the body side molding, which makes the truck look really good with the factory flairs.  The mirrors really stand out in chrome, and toning them down will help quite a bit.

Yes, I have.  In all likelyhood, I'll do that as well, but it's a lower priority.  My truck is Polo Green (very dark), and the handles aren't all that visible now, in black.

Like practically everyone else, mods have to come in stages or not at all due to costs.

I dont know if this is off-topic at all.. But i was thinking of painting the center bar in my grille *from chrome to black*.. If someone knows could they tell me the steps to do it..??? I dont know what kind of preping it would need to look factory..

Thanks

Steve

DuckhunterInTN,

Unfortunately, the top bumper cover on the heavy duty trucks is two inches taller than the 1/2 ton cover, so it won't fit.   I saw an HD crew cab yesterday with aftermarket two-tone paint done like it came from the factory, including the flares.  His front bumper cover was smoothed and painted, too.  It looked really good.  He was leaving a parking lot so I couldn't stop him to ask him about it.  The truck was Indigo Blue, two-toned with Pewter.  They don't two-tone the HDs from the factory, at least not yet.

(Edited by SierraHDCC at 2:54 pm on Aug. 7, 2001)

I've painted all of the bumper caps and lower cowl.  Cost me a total of ?.48 from NAPA.  Hardest part was pulling off the bottom bumper cowl.  There is like 20 some clips that hold it in place.  The adhesion promoter works really well.  If you have an air compressor, a paint gun and the space INDOORS to do it, I would recommend doing it yourself.  I didn't sand anything down though.  I put 1 coat of the adhesion promoter, 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear on it and it's smooth as a babys butt!  No rock chips or anything yet.  Neen about 4 months since I did it.

Archived