Disturbing number of rattles...

Man...   I am getting way too many of these rattles in my truck....   luckily they are all covered under TSB's but it is a pain taking the thing back.  The latest are the ones concerning the windshield molding and the excab doors not shutting right..(out of adjusment).  Only 2000 miles so I'm a little bummed.  the only bright side to the story is my dealer has been great and always gives me a car to drive and washes my truck for me...  

Sorry to hear about your problems, but at least you've got a dealer that takes care of you.

Now if you could get the dealer to give you a HD "loaner" you'd be set.

I had a 99 GMC and now a 2001 GMC and can say I have not had many rattles.  It must be true that the quality of the GMC is better than the Chevy (that will start a war?).  The only things with my 99 were the steering column shaft and the rear springs, both wer fixed.

My doors work perfectly.  They say those hood wind deflectors can cause windshiled noise by atering the air flow around the cab.

They say those hood wind deflectors can cause windshiled noise by atering the air flow around the cab.

My '99 did the same thing after I installed my bug shield.  I bought some 3M double sided trim tape from a local parts store and secured the rubber seals that run up the sides of the windshield.  The bugshield was causeing them to flutter a little.  After that, I had no more noises.  It actually sounded like a tapping sound on mine.

Hope this helps.

(Edited by MountaineerTom 99Z71 at 9:10 am on Feb. 24, 2001)

That tapping noise is exactly what I'm having.  I hear it on windy days or when I'm following a tractor trailer and riding in it's turbulance.

I do have a bug deflector that I put on the day I bought the truck.  But the tapping didn't start until a week ago.  

Did you remove the molding and then re-attach it with the tape?

I didn't remove it, I just peeled it up and attached one side of the double sided tape.  After I got it on the whole length of the moulding, I started peeling the red backing off and pressing the moulding down against the window.  i peeled the backing off as I went down the moulding,  I think if you peel it all off first, it would be too difficult to keep it where you want it.

Quote: from elcamino on 7:59 am on Feb. 24, 2001

I had a 99 GMC and now a 2001 GMC and can say I have not had many rattles.  It must be true that the quality of the GMC is better than the Chevy (that will start a war?).  The only things with my 99 were the steering column shaft and the rear springs, both wer fixed.

My doors work perfectly.  They say those hood wind deflectors can cause windshiled noise by atering the air flow around the cab.

I doubt it will start any war, as we all know it is complete BS. GMC and Chevy trucks are built in the same plant by the same workers. It is just luck of the draw. The only reason GMCs tend to get a better owner satisfaction rating is because GMC dealers charge more and therefore can afford to give better service to get better customer relationship.

Oh and I have no rattles or problems with my 01 Silverado so far.

(Edited by HiG4s at 4:40 pm on Feb. 24, 2001)

Actually the GMC was the better buy in my case.  This is my second GMC and I can say I have not paid anymore for the GMC's, even less than I could find a comparable Chevy.  I had spec'd out both brands and the Chevy dealers were hard to deal with whereas the GMC dealers wanted to sell big time.   I paid invoice for a in-stock loaded 2001 SLT Ext Cab 4WD and they delivered it 400 miles free of charge.   This dealer had one in just about every color.   No Chevy dealers within 300 miles had more than 1 LT on the lot (most had no LT's) and my luck they all were Pewter (had '98 Z34 in Pewter).   One other thing I noticed with GMC is parts,  my transfer case actutor failed and they shipped the part FedEx from a dealer in Mississippi to Michigan next day, I did not ask for a special service.  I had owned Chevy's for almost 30 yrs, my last was a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 that had big problems.  They never could fix the car right and I got rid of it in 1999 for the GMC.   The dealer did not care a bit about my problems and just said.  We have done all we can do, maybe you should take it somehwere else.  This from a dealer I had bough at least 10 cars from.

(Edited by elcamino at 9:55 pm on Feb. 25, 2001)

Archived