? on '05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC

JML79

I am looking at getting rid of my F$@& F-250 and replacing it with a '05 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 CC with the 6.0 V8, auto. First off, I'd like some clarification: I was told that this configuration is ONLY available with the 4.10 rear end...is this true?

I have had a Chevy truck before....'01 Z-71 Ext. Cab with the 3.73....and absolutely loved that truck. Now I am looking to get rid of the thirsty V10 4x4 I have now and get into something with a more comfortable interior that will not need a fill-up every other day(I realize that a 4x4 truck with a V8 is not going to ever get "great" mileage, but it has to be better than a v10)!!

Please let me know about your experiences with this model/configuration for those of you that have one or have had one. Thanks!

I actually considered the ford 250 with the V10 before I bought my 05 HD with the 6.0 This is my third GM truck with the 6.0 I had a 2000 GMC with the 3:73 in it. I didn't get gas mileage any better than I am with the 4:10. You didn't say what the mileage is with the V-10. I am now getting 12mpg with this 05 after 2000 miles. Not that great, but I have a real truck that pulls my trailer with ease and that is the purpose of a v-8 HD, at least for me.

I don't know if I would have been happy with the 2500HD CC 4X4 if the 6.0/4L80-E powertrain came with anything less than the 4.10 gears.

Driving should be fun.

I kind of think of myself as being conservative when it comes to gears...I only went up from stock 3.08 to 3.42 in my Impala where most performance minded folks step up to 3.73s for that car. As for the truck, it needs the 4.10s.

I am looking at getting rid of my F$@& F-250 and replacing it with a '05 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 CC with the 6.0 V8, auto.  First off, I'd like some clarification: I was told that this configuration is ONLY available with the 4.10 rear end...is this true?

I have had a Chevy truck before....'01 Z-71 Ext. Cab with the 3.73....and absolutely loved that truck.  Now I am looking to get rid of the thirsty V10 4x4 I have now and get into something with a more comfortable interior that will not need a fill-up every other day(I realize that a 4x4 truck with a V8 is not going to ever get "great" mileage, but it has to be better than a v10)!!

Please let me know about your experiences with this model/configuration for those of you that have one or have had one.  Thanks!

Don't expect a gas mileage miracle with the 6.0.For a small block V-8 the 6.0 gets pretty lousy MPG. From what I've read on numerous boards,the 6.0 and the 8.1 get very similar MPG. If you get a short bed HD the gas tank is only 26 gallons,about 10 gallons too small IMO.

If you plan on towing with the 6.0 remember that everything (HP and Torque) happens at 4000+ RPMs.

12.5mpg in the city and 14-15 on the highway is an improvement of my almost constant 10-11mpg numbers on the V10. I would also imagine that the ext. cab would get a little better mileage than the crew cab, but I could be wrong.

My dilemma is that I like the way the '05 2500HD looks (hood/grille) much better than the 1500 Z-71. However, I have owned a Z-71 in the past ('01 ext cab LT) and absolutely loved that truck.....it was a great combination of ride quality, decent mpg for a truck and had all the power I'd ever need. I plan to go drive both and compare in the next few days.

12.5mpg in the city and 14-15 on the highway is an improvement of my almost constant 10-11mpg numbers on the V10.  I would also imagine that the ext. cab would get a little better mileage than the crew cab, but I could be wrong.

My F250 V10 is an ext. cab and I get a real consistant 11 to 12 mpg for 50/50 city/hwy driving and a little over 14mpg for highway not towing. It's the 2v version with 310HP/425lb-ft & has a 3.73 & the old 4-speed auto. I never thought my mileage was bad though (considering it's a 7000lb truck with a 415ci engine).

I really like 2500HDs too. Anyway, here's something to think about-remember I don't know what you use the truck for so it may not be much help. But if the main reaon you're trading is to get better mileage and you really want the 6.0L, why not get the 1500 Crew Cab with the 6.0L? It should get better mileage (it's a little lighter) than the HD and you'll still have a 3/4 ton chassis with the 6.0L.

Everybody I know with 2500HDs get almost the same mpg whether they have the 8.1L or 6.0L. Like I said though, I do like the looks of the HDs but you have to remember it's really equivalent to a SRW 1-ton so you get the extra weight along with the extra tow/weight ratings which you may need.

It's just if I was getting a 2500HD I'd be too tempted to get the 8.1L just to have the Allison auto! :sigh:

Have you had problems with the F250/V10 or are you just trading mainly due to the low mileage numbers? Just curious. Good luck with the decision-ain't it nice to have so many options though? :cheers:

Archived