'04 & Older NBS Brake Upgrade to '05 Front Discs

Slick

Since the '05 silverado's have larger front discs than previous years with 4 wheel discs, I am wondering if it will be possible for '04-older silverados to be easily upgraded in the front. Might be an easy and cost effective brake upgrade.

Baer makes a kit that does this already - the Eradispeed +1. It includes larger rotors and new caliper brackets (as they obviously need to be moved out). It utilizes the existing calipers, so it's a very easy upgrade. This would probably be cheaper than trying to buy the '05 parts from the local stealer.

I believe that the rotors on the 99-04s were as large as they could be for a 16" wheel. If you want to go to the larger rotors, you will probably have to upgrade the wheels to 17" or larger as well.

As far as good bang for the buck brake upgrades though, I simply replaced my factory pads with Satisfied Pro ceramics. I've had good results from them so far after about 8 months or so. I got mine from Tirerack and paid just over $100 for both front and rear.

Some other good advice as well... Just because the pads appear that they can go about 100K miles, doesn't mean that the brake system doesn't need maintenance until 100k! Flush the fluid and clean and re-grease the caliper pins on a regular schedule (no more than 2 year intervals). Simple weekend afternoon maintenance can keep those brakes working like new.

I've read the 05's went to drums in the rear, I didn't know the fronts were bigger.

How much bigger are they?

"The primary hardware upgrade for the ’05 light-duty pickups is 1 in. (2.5 cm) larger-diameter front rotors and twin-piston calipers that are significantly larger and stiffer than the current twin-piston squeezers. Hamann says the larger rotor provides a 55 sq.-in. (355 sq.-cm )increase in rotor swept area, a tremendous aid in generating more stopping force."

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_gm_pickups_brake/index.htm

I have looked at the aftermarket brake systems (Baer). They look like nice units, but my concern will be 5 years from now when I need to do a brake job on my truck. Will any of the components still be available? How much will they cost? If I upgrade with stock chevy components, I can be guaranteed that I will always be able to get the required parts.

• 11 months later...

[quote name=

"The primary hardware upgrade for the ’05 light-duty pickups is 1 in. (2.5 cm) larger-diameter front rotors and twin-piston calipers that are significantly larger and stiffer than the current twin-piston squeezers. Hamann says the larger rotor provides a 55 sq.-in. (355 sq.-cm )increase in rotor swept area' date=' a tremendous aid in generating more stopping force."

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_gm_pickups_brake/index.htm

That article describes everything wrong with GM brakes...Is there a way to retrofit these onto an 03 with 16" rims or even 17" rims from a Denali...All the Baer Kits require 18" rims or larger which is bick bucks for just rims and tires.

Archived