Well my baby has just hit 100,000 miles. I think she is just broken in now. What services would you all suggest performing.

Oh yea I have a 99 Tahoe 5.7L

the obvious are

Plugs

Wires,

Fuel Filter,

Trans,

Diffs front and rear,

Coolant flush (done last year)

Air Filter

What about

Timing (Is it belt or Chain)

Fuel Pump

Water Pump

Anything I missed or added that isn't needed let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Later,

Brandon

Forget the water pump, fuel pump and timing chain unless you have reason to be suspect of them. Add transfer case and power steering flush. Don't know specifics on your maint. history but the OEM shocks are shot as well as maybe the rotors are getting thin? Check all belts n' hoses.

Well I wasn't sure about the Timing Chain. I don't think it was ever replaced so I wasn't sure when they should be changed. I would rather not have to deal with it breaking. And the Transfer Case was Flushed and upgraded to the Auto Trac II fluid. (The blue Stuff) 2 Years ago. That was 40,000 miles ago. So that should be done hu? And the Trans I have never done. So that is a must as well. How hard are the O2 sensors to replace? And how much are they? And that is a good idea about the break fluid. What is the trick to bleeding breaks on an ABS system? Thanks for your help.

Later,

Brandon

Well I wasn't sure about the Timing Chain.  I don't think it was ever replaced so I wasn't sure when they should be changed.  I would rather not have to deal with it breaking.  And the Transfer Case was Flushed and upgraded to the Auto Trac II fluid. (The blue Stuff) 2 Years ago.  That was  40,000 miles ago.  So that should be done hu?  And the Trans I have never done.  So that is a must as well.  How hard are the O2 sensors to replace?  And how much are they?  And that is a good idea about the break fluid.  What is the trick to bleeding breaks on an ABS system?  Thanks for your help.

Later,

Brandon

The O2's run ~ $50 - $60 each x 4, so ~$240 on the parts. Was able to replace all 4 on my K3500 / 5.7 in an hour. Just need an O2 socket. Given the way fuel prices are shooting up, you may get real fast payback on this one; old sensors tend to run you rich.

You don't have to worry about the timing chain breaking. They aren't as fragile as the belts on some smaller engines. Most belts need a change at 40-60k miles. The stock chain on the GMs aren't great, but their not bad, either. If and when it begins to get serious wear, it will stretch to the point of running rough. The timing will never be "perfect" because of the slack in the chain.

Then you change the timing chain, water pump, and WTH, might as well put a cam in it since the front of the motor's apart. With the new cam come new lifters and pushrods. Well dang, why would you want to put that old heavy, restrictive intake back on? Back to the parts house. Shoot, now you'vew got a new timing set, new cam, 1.6 rockers to go with the new lifters and pushrods, free flowing intake manifold, and you think that you're gonna dump all that waste into stock exhaust manifolds? Back to parts house for headers and dual cats, mufflers, and a "Y" pipe.

Your timing set just cost you about $700.00. You have an hp gain of 15.

See why you shouldn't fix it if it ain't broke? Repairs always lead to more upgrades. :wtf:

Archived