I've some got great news!

I've been working on the mileage of this truck ever since I bought it about 10 months ago and it was getting low 8's. I drive stop and go mostly, and very aggressively at times. When I get a chance to blast past the slow pokers I wake'em up with the Flowmasters. My truck wieghs very close to 7,000 even at all times.

I just did the latest mileage calculations, and even though I stuffed the tank this time to start a fresh test I still got 10.09 based on the mileage from my last auto click off tank. :chevy:

This is great timing with gas prices soaring again. Two things helped, one I recently installed Lords Velvet Ride rear shakles and it lowered my tail-gate by 7/8", this is pure parachute reduction on this chassis. The last step that pushed it over the 10 MPG hump was adding an alcohol based fuel additive to remove water from the tank. I had the scanner hooked up and noted spark knock at WOT, this was new. After much consideration on what could be causing this I decided it was most likely high H2O in the fuel. Ater about 1 tank with some Prestone fuel system treatment I knew it I was dead on right. I've picked up a ton of throttle and more overall power. And I know my injectors were clean because I flushed them myself a few months back. Since then I've put another bottle in and one in the Trans Am just in case we've got some problem station on our list.

I'm hopeing that with some conservative driving I'll do better still on this tank.

Finnally for all of those who think they must come into every fuel mileage post and balk. I realize that this is a big truck and not ment for economical fuel usage. Yes I do realize that my big truck would look even tougher if I could pour gas out of a can held out of the window when ever I raced or passed a lesser vehilce. :( Think of it this way, it's free money for more upgrades and I've gained power at every step, does that make this post easyer to swallow. Just kidding you guys, you all crack me up with your anti-mileage sentiments.

Vernon

Nice work Vernon! I've been in the 9's MPG wise with my CC/8.1/Allison around the city and glad to hear you broke 10!

Yes, you don't buy the crew cab Big Block for MPG, but gettin above that magic mark of 10 MPG city is nice to say.

My Dad made fun of me when I ordered my truck. Said MPG was going to kill me. He grew up with gas drinking big blocks and had a 1976 Chevy K-20 HD 4x4 with 350 V8, 4 speed manual and dual twenty gallon tanks. It got (are you ready for this) a whopping six miles per gallon!

And I'm talking 6 MPG city or highway, uphil or downhill, wind at back or in face, full moon or new moon, you name it! SIX stinking MPG! So I'm considering my 9-10 MPG city in a truck with two more doors, many more cubes, lots more goodies, tons more pulling power...well, I'm doing okay.

And to think all those guys with 6.0 crew cabs are only getting 11, maybe 12 around town...you are doing well my friend.

Thanks for the props, some of you must understand how I feel breaking into the double digits, it's a small personal victory being a professional tech.

Most of the "mods" done to increase mileage were normal tune up maintainence items that I did at cost since I am a tech. The additive is about $2 a bottle and I used two in consective tanks of gas that runs $1.93 a gallon. I don't buy bargain gas as I see what it does to engines all the time and don't want those problems.

The shakles were bought mainly for comfort, truck appearance, and potential milage increase in that order plus I got them from a fellow forum member here for a nice $100 almost new. So their price shouldn't be considered mainly as mileage improvement costs as that was the least of my reasoning.

But at the current rate of MPG increase over previous and distance I've been driving this would add upto $579 a year savings at current fuel prices. I spent $110 on the Volant total (good Ebay deal), $48 on the plugs, $15 on the fuel filter, $22 on plug wires, and $15 on the injector flush. My crank sensor failed and the new one increased milage and power so there's a $80 mod that improved mileage, but it did allow my truck to run so had to have it. The previous owner had bought the tuner and also some flowmaster 2 chambers dumped under the bed which was way to stupid for me so I spent $300 on quieter ones with tailpipes but those items were not meat as mileage boosters but if they do great. He also had some Pro-Comp X-terrain 285's mud buggy tires adding to the discomfort and noise that I replaced with the 265 REVO's, hmmm, about $530 there that boosted MPG but also a dual purpose mod meant mainly for other reasons.

In any case the best milage is usually bone stock, which the truck was far from when I bought it. So I agree mods to increase milage should be considered carefully as to their worth long term. The way I see it I could have left it alone and hated it for a couple of years and said "Yeah I can't stand to drive my truck and it's worn out quick but think of all the money I saved by leaving it that way.". Or I could make the truck my own and really enjoy it for a long time and consider it money well spent. By the way I really like this truck, gas guzzling and all.

I'm not a mileage fanatic, if I were I'd drive a Geo or some such kaka, I'm a efficiency fanatic. I want my vehicles to run perfectly, much like a plumber would hate a leaking faucet I can't stand a sloppy running engine no matter it's intended purpose.

Anyways I'm starting to bore myself so I'll shut it.

Vernon

Hey I'm glad you're happy with your mileage, Haulin. I keep close track of mine too and I look at it this way. When you only get 10 mpg, a 1/2 mpg gain is a big deal! Good post and good info.

We bought these trucks knowing the mileage was going to be awful but it don't mean we can't get excited when it goes up a little bit, right? :cry:

My V10 F250 is stock and I plan to keep it so. The biggest factor I have found to keep the mileage up is to drive it smart. Also I keep my tires aired up to a proper level. I don't drive slow, but more consistant and staying at the speed limits gives me the best mileage.

For example, on the highway I keep it in OD as much as possible and keep the rpms constant. My engine (and yours too) have enough power at 2000rpm to cruise up along at 70 or 75 easily in OD or 6th. I also try to coast up to stop lights and catch them green so I don't have to stop and start. Things like that become habit if you do it for awhile.

I average between 11 to 12 mpg mixed drving and a little over 14 for a highway trip doing 65 or 70. I am more than pleased with it since like yours, my truck weighs right at 7000lbs. But if I drive it hard, do 75 or 80 on the highway and gun it from stoplights I can see my mpg drop by 1 or 2 really quick!

But I do drive the Vibe alot-especially to work and running errands and it usually gets 30 to 32 mpg. If I keep it steady on the highway I've managed to eek 37 out of it! :D That way I can save wear on the truck and just use it for my "fun" vehicle and for hauling and towing my toys! Heck-I saved enough in gas money to make the payments on the Vibe! Still wouldn't trade the pickup-if I had to pick one I'd take the truck and live with the 12 mpg! :cheers:

And to think all those guys with 6.0 crew cabs are only getting 11, maybe 12 around town...you are doing well my friend.

11-12 in a 6.0?! I wish.......9.5mpg for me

Good gawd, man, do you flat-foot it everywhere ?!!!?

Even when I hammer on mine, I still get better than 9.5. And I mean HAMMER.

I already stated (like a hundred times now) I'm getting 3+mpg from my Wester's tune. 14.3~14.8 in town :cry: .

And I drive hard and fast....85 is not uncommon, I'm generally first off the line.... by 50 yards or more :D !!!

Get a tune !!!!!!!!

The thing to consider with buying a PCM recallibration tune is that it's meant to compliment a engine in perfect running condition. Now I know that my truck is ready for whatever I want to put on it. Metz should work diligently to find out why his mileage is so poor before adding any performance mods. A "Tune" is no substitute for a "Tune-Up".

What Hillhound says about driving technique is right on the money, I find the same things. That's why I started a new mileage test, it's been running so nice I've been having fun with all the new found torque, now I'm trying to play nice and see what I get.

Vernon

Archived