NITROUS HELP!

mikem454

:cheers: ive got a 97 p/u with a 5.7 it has a programmer,cold air intake,t body, mass air flow sensor... the bolt on stuff. well i decided to put a little nitrous on it, so i bought a sneeky pete, and i put the biggest jet in it. and when i spray there is absolutley no difference spraying or not. and when i have it in park and set the idle at 2500 and spray it misses. im puzzled. please help thanks

:jester:  ive got a 97 p/u with a 5.7 it has a programmer,cold air intake,t body, mass air flow sensor... the bolt on stuff.  well i decided to put a little nitrous on it, so i bought a sneeky pete, and i put the biggest jet in it.  and when i spray there is absolutley no difference spraying or not.  and when i have it in park and set the idle at 2500 and spray  it misses.  im puzzled.  please help  thanks

Dude, this isn't meant as a bash, but you have no clue what you're doing, do you ?? Biggest jet right off the bat, huh ?? What size jet ?? What other mods did you make to run the nitrous ?? Play with any timing or fuel ??

First, NEVER, under any circumstances, spray the motor when it's idling or not running. You're lucky you didn't damage your motor.

But you didn't damage your motor because your spray isn't working. I'd recommend installing a throttle switch to activate the spray versus a thumb button. Much safer, only sprays under WOT.

Got power to the nitrous solenoid ?? Switch working ?? Bottle open ?!!? Bottle full ?!!!? Can you hear the solenoid click when you hit the button ??

Again, not meant to bash or belittle you, I promise. I'd hate to hear you damaged your engine thru inexperience. Nitrous does not suffer fools.....

Go to LS1Tech.com. These guys are the ULTIMATE engine gurus. They have a section for Vortecs and LT1's also.

Good luck. Let us know what you find :cheers: .

(before anyone comes and tells me I'm wrong, yes, I know, you can run small shots with minimal mods, but even that is a risk with NO other mods; timing at a minimum needs to be assessed...)

:cheers:  ive got a 97 p/u with a 5.7 it has a programmer,cold air intake,t body, mass air flow sensor... the bolt on stuff.  well i decided to put a little nitrous on it, so i bought a sneeky pete, and i put the biggest jet in it.  and when i spray there is absolutley no difference spraying or not.  and when i have it in park and set the idle at 2500 and spray  it misses.  im puzzled.  please help  thanks

Dude, this isn't meant as a bash, but you have no clue what you're doing, do you ?? Biggest jet right off the bat, huh ?? What size jet ?? What other mods did you make to run the nitrous ?? Play with any timing or fuel ??

First, NEVER, under any circumstances, spray the motor when it's idling or not running. You're lucky you didn't damage your motor.

But you didn't damage your motor because your spray isn't working. I'd recommend installing a throttle switch to activate the spray versus a thumb button. Much safer, only sprays under WOT.

Got power to the nitrous solenoid ?? Switch working ?? Bottle open ?!!? Bottle full ?!!!? Can you hear the solenoid click when you hit the button ??

Again, not meant to bash or belittle you, I promise. I'd hate to hear you damaged your engine thru inexperience. Nitrous does not suffer fools.....

Go to LS1Tech.com. These guys are the ULTIMATE engine gurus. They have a section for Vortecs and LT1's also.

Good luck. Let us know what you find :cheers: .

(before anyone comes and tells me I'm wrong, yes, I know, you can run small shots with minimal mods, but even that is a risk with NO other mods; timing at a minimum needs to be assessed...)

Yes it sounds like none of "mikes" ducks are in a row. If he is using a dry shot he needs to start small and spray it into intake before MAS sensor not after it so it can adjust fuel flow for denser mixture. You need to be very carefull with dry shots as it is VERY easy to lean out and fry the engine under load if overdone or done improperly.

:cheers:  ive got a 97 p/u with a 5.7 it has a programmer,cold air intake,t body, mass air flow sensor... the bolt on stuff.  well i decided to put a little nitrous on it, so i bought a sneeky pete, and i put the biggest jet in it.  and when i spray there is absolutley no difference spraying or not.  and when i have it in park and set the idle at 2500 and spray  it misses.  im puzzled.  please help  thanks

Sneaky pete setups are nitrous only, they don't add any fuel. these kits are not to be used on fuel injected systems without having the ability to also control the fuel flow. Never use NOS without being WOT (wide open throttle).

Your best bet would be to get a setup for EFI engines and start with the smallest jets first, your stock bottom end will not take the abuse of the larger systems and larger jets.

Also the idea of adding a WOT switch is a very good idea.

• 2 months later...

Running a dry kit similar to the NOS 5177 kit will work great on these trucks. This is a Dry WOT kit that are common on LS1's. I have ran a 125 dry shot on my SS for 3 years without any problems. It actually looks like this kit could be easily modified to run on the vortec truck motors. The simplest way to arm the system is to run the hot wire to your fog lights. Turn on your fog lights to arm the NOS. Then at wot only will the system engage. Watch Ls1 cars at the track, when you see their fog lamps turn on you know what is about to happen! You know they have a NOS 5177 kit.

If I was putting one of these on my truck, I would get a FIPK2 and simply put the jet in the tube before the MAF. The MAF sensor automatically richens up your motor for the NOS. Also put in cooler plugs (NGK Tr6's for a little more security and some 10 mm wires).

Whatever the hell you were talking about with that sneaky pete crap--LOL. The other guys said it better than i could.

• 4 weeks later...

well i figured it out. but first off let me explain myself i know i sounded like a jackass lol the kit has a 4an line, which will not flow much at all, so i doesnt matter how big the pill is i put in there it wont flow too much, and when i reved the motor up to 2500 rpms, i was just goin by the instructions i didnt know it needed to be wot . and the guys at the local performance shop said that my program that i have on it will give it more than enough fuel for that little of a shot. but anyway it was used just for a grudge match at the track, and it helped i picked up alot. thanks for the advice

• 4 months later...

Archived