5w30 or 10w30 for 5.3?

Are you guys running 5w30 or 10w30 in your 5.3's?  I am getting ready to change the oil and wonder what I should be getting.  I live in the West Texas heat and have been using Mobil1 10w30 every 3k w/the PF 59 filter.  Is the 10w30 too thick?

Thanks!

I use 10W30 Mobil 1 and a AC PF59 filter in the summer. I switch to 5W30 in the winter, hoping that the thinner oil will help with cold starts. If the dealer ever asks, just say 5W30. My dealer told me that he would never use 5W30 non-synthetic in any V8. Not sure why that would make a difference, but that is what he said.

chane, i know that I live in a different climate than you do in Texas but we can get hot for a period of time. I use 5/30 Mobil I year around. i also use Mobil I filters. There a a few studies of filters out on the web that show a few filters superior to others. I can't remember the address' or I'd copy them here. With the heat in Texas right now, I'd doubt that 5/30 or 10/30 make much difference to engine performance or future performance. So, flip a coin, chose one or the other and forget about it.

(Edited by LT at 9:02 pm on Aug. 6, 2001)

5W-30 Mobil 1  and PF59 AC oil filter ( i have about a dozen i found em at walmart on special for 50 cents each)

I live in indiana

summers 90's to 100's

winter -50 (windchill) to 20 above

Chane is right...if you look at the manual it says 5W-30 for normal use, 10W-30 in hotter climates.  I think I usually ran 5W-30.

The thing with multi-viscosity oils is that once they heat up they have the characteristics of the second number, so both oils should lubricate the same once up to operating temperature, like a straight 30 weight at normal operating temp.

Jeff

Archived