towing mirrors on a HD

scottcleaver

Question

I just got a 02 3500 crew cab and it doesn't have the towing mirrors option like I see on some of them. I would lke to convert over to the better mirrors but I'm not sure of all the details. It would be nice to have a plug and play situation but I know better. I'm sure that there should be more switches to run the mirrors to extended phase, but not sure how it all all works. Thanks for the help. Scott

0 answers to this question

Maybe I can get lucky and not have to get the door module. I hope that the 02 is the same as the 04 when it comes to this item. I also have the power heated mirrors and not the folding version. I'll let you know when the mirror gets here and I get it bolted up.

Actually it doesn't take any more switches. You simply put the selector for which mirror you want to control in the center "neither" position . . . pressing the outboard side of the mirror adjuster switch (as if to adjust the mirror to the left) will make the mirrors extend and pressing the inboard side will make them retract. That's how it works on my father-in-laws 2003 2500HD. I have heard that you simply plug the mirrors in and bolt them on, and then have the BCM reflashed to enable the mirrors if they happen not to work after plugging them in. :devil:

Actually it doesn't take any more switches.  You simply put the selector for which mirror you want to control in the center "neither" position . . . pressing the outboard side of the mirror adjuster switch (as if to adjust the mirror to the left) will make the mirrors extend and pressing the inboard side will make them retract.  That's how it works on my father-in-laws 2003 2500HD.  I have heard that you simply plug the mirrors in and bolt them on, and then have the BCM reflashed to enable the mirrors if they happen not to work after plugging them in. :devil:

That is true if the truck already has the power fold mirrors, but if it doesn't then you have to replace the DDM (drivers door module) and program the BCM for it.

Well I finally found one of the mirrors I need. Now for some new questions. I do not have power folding mirrors so it sounds like I need to replace the drivers door module and get the BCM flashed. The first question is could te DDM go by a different name, I have been doing a search to find out a part number and price but have had no luck yet. The second is when I get the second mirror and install it, will I have to go through another reflash? Thanks Scott

Here's a new dilema. The new towing mirror came in and everything looked fine. when I went to pull off the old mirror I noticed it has one black connector to unplug but the towing mirror has two different plugs. The first one is a black connector but not the same exact end to match up and the second is a blue connector that I don't have any clue to what it connects to. Any ideas would be appreciated. I really do want to use these bad boys. Thanks Scott

I have changed them on my 04 2500hd, it came only with power heated mirrors..

I wanted the blinker heated power extending.. I got them and they plugged right in to the Door Modules... No Need to replace them on 2003-2005 years anyway, Not sure of them earlier years.

I then went to the dealer and 10 minutes later they was running!! I have since removed them from the 04 and put them on my 05 with the same results.. Plug in Program and All is good..

I thought the switch may need replaced but on both mine the mirror selector switch had 3 positions, Left-Center-Right. anyway it works..

now I do not know about other years.. My mirrors was off a 03, and was on my 04 and now on my 05.. so these 3 years are plug program and play...

>>>One other thing would be your truck would need to have power mirrors already? both mine had just the basic power heated on them. if you have No Power mirrors on your truck then it may be a job..

However there are aftermarket extending mirrors that should be easy to install..

Powervison, or they have some manual extending mirrors<<<

Good Luck

on my door module there is 2 sockets for the 2 plugs.. My original mirrors just had the one plug as well, and the new mirrors 2 plugs. if you look or feel you will find the other slot to plug into.

I hope you can use them without problem.. like I say before mine was on a 04 and 05.. in which I had no trouble with either.

Keep Us posted.. sorry it took awhile getting back to you..

Well I finally found one of the mirrors I need. Now for some new questions. I do not have power folding mirrors so it sounds like I need to replace the drivers door module and get the BCM flashed. The first question is could te DDM go by a different name, I have been doing a search to find out a part number and price but have had no luck yet. The second is when I get the second mirror and install it, will I have to go through another reflash? Thanks  Scott

Not sure of any other name for the DDM, but yes when you get a second you will need to do the flash again..

This last time my dealer done mine he done just the drivers side and the other side did not work right.. caught it when I got home.

anyway its in the door modules that they program, Also Mine did not have the folding mirrors either and I did Not have to replace the module or switches... this was in my 04 and in my current 05... they did have power heated but that was it.

Archived