New tailgate cables stick out

After getting my new tailgate cables cuz of the recall, I noticed that these new cables stick out the back end of my truck. They stick out in the gap between the tailgate and the tail light.

Anyone else's do this?

Any fix to this? Cuz it looks stupid.

That's probably because they didn't do the job correctly. There are two tiny washers that have to be put in the right location to allow free rotation of the cables. If they put 'em in wrong (seen it many times) or don't put them in at all, the cable eyelet will bind at the tailgate end.

Open the tailgate all the way then and lift it up 6" or so to take the tension off the cables. Can you rotate the cables at the tailgate end with absolutely no resistance? If not, take it back. The insulation on the cable is probably chewed up now too.

Another common problem is the dealer puts the cables on the wrong sides, that will cause them to stick out exactly as you describe.

They are marked L and R and must be installed on the correct side.

Duct tape? Sorry, long day.

After getting my new tailgate cables cuz of the recall, I noticed that these new cables stick out the back end of my truck. They stick out in the gap between the tailgate and the tail light.

Anyone else's do this?

Same with mine. Only sticks out on the right side.

Anyone else's do this?

Then you probably have two lefts or two rights. They are marked clearly on one end, I forgot which end.

Anyone else's do this?

Then you probably have two lefts or two rights. They are marked clearly on one end, I forgot which end.

I didn’t notice a left or right decal but I did see the MADE IN CHINA decal. :thumbs:

Anyone else's do this?

I didn’t notice a left or right decal but I did see the MADE IN CHINA decal. :thumbs:

Not a decal, the L+R are stamped right into the metal. If they are on the wrong side, they will stick out. Most dealers aren't aware they work on only the side they are made for.

IF THEY STICK OUT THEY ARE ON THE WRONG SIDE, SWAP THEM!!!!

Archived