Headlight Question.

I saw on some previous posts that you can wire your headlights so both high and low beams are on when you switch to high beams. The posts talked about using a low wattage diode but when I went to Radio Shack to get one the diodes were not rated by watts, the resistors were. Can someone clarify what I need to get? If it is a diode can I get specifics on what to buy?

I saw on some previous posts that you can wire your headlights so both high and low beams are on when you switch to high beams. The posts talked about using a low wattage diode but when I went to Radio Shack to get one the diodes were not rated by watts, the resistors were. Can someone clarify what I need to get? If it is a diode can I get specifics on what to buy?

You need a diode not a resister, get 1N4006, there are many different ones that will work. 1N4006 is the one I used and it works great.

The posts talked about using a low wattage diode but when I went to Radio Shack to get one the diodes were not rated by watts, the resistors were. Can someone clarify what I need to get? If it is a diode can I get specifics on what to buy?

You need a blocking diode so current capacity is not relavent here. FYI though in that diodes are rate in amperes or milliampes )micro amps if small enough) if they are rectifiers or blocking diodes and in wattage if they are zenier diodes.

I believe you need a "switching" diode. I would suggest a 1N4001 through 1N4007. The main difference is the reverse voltage.

The current to drive the relay is probably pretty low, but you probably should use a 1/2W diode, which the 1N400X is.

A 1N914/1N4148 type diode might work, but you should be able to find a 1N4001 at RadioShack.

Archived