Door Strap?!

:chevy: My wife got out of my truck on Sunday (here on the east coast) and the wind took the door right out of her hands and smacked the front fender. I looked and the door strap is still in one piece?! I looked at the door hindge and the little (I mean little) tips that stick up and stop the door (I guess) did not stop the door. The pieces went over top of one another. In ever other car I have owned the door strap prevents this from happening. I went to the dealership and they said abuse and will not cover it even though the door strap did not function.

They looked at the door strap and everything is ok. Now I need body work on a 7 month old truck from the friggin wind in the middle of a parking lot.

BEWARE!!

I love my truck but I am getting tired of the we'll note it on your paperwork, nope not under warranty, looks fine to me, etc.

I bought a piece of crap Chrysler and they covered everything. Even a tear in the seat from my keys (even after I told them).

Customer service?!?! What's that?

I went to the dealership and they said abuse and will not cover it even though the door strap did not function.

By that logic you'd be abusing your truck if you hit something after the brakes fail.. If you have full coverage, what does your insurance company say about the dealer passing the buck back to them?

I have not even thought about that. The question would it be worth the increase in insurance premiums?

I guess the question is did the door strap fail by letting the door "over" open or does that strap even control how far the door opens and rely's soley on the door hindge? I don't know. Just highly upset I guess.

On a good note they replaced my key thob :chevy:

If your "comprehensive" part of your insurance policy would cover it, then there should be no increase in your premium. However you would have to pay the deductible.

Comprehensive covers things like deer, rocks, hail, tree limbs etc... I would think wind would be covered under that.

I have not even thought about that.  The question would it be worth the increase in insurance premiums? 

All the insurance does is help you manage a financial risk you are not comfortable taking yourself. It is nearly impossible to answer your question without lots of details that only you have. I have full coverage on all my vehicles because sh*t happens. In the end, my insurance company is ahead of me (so far). But you never know... that could change.

Haven't seen the damage but the way it's described sounds like the door stop malfunctioned and could be a hazard, no damage to the door (like it hit something while backing up) find a different dealership.....call GM's hotline?

Lots of different dealerships , all with different service managers. I would take it to atleast 2 more and see if they give you the same answer, I have found over the years there is always a dealership service department in any given area that actually cares about the customer buying the next rig there. These are usually the mom and pop dealers that are run by the owner and the owner only see's green. Sometimes you just got to hunt for it...my.02

The "door strap" that you refer to is actually called a check link. Its only purpose is to hold your door in three different open positions by way of detents. The hinges themselves are what prevent the door from opening too far. If you look on each hinge (top and bottom) you will see a raised portion on the body side of the hinge that is contacted by a finger on the door side of the hinge when the door is fully open. There are two of these on each hinge. You said that the fingers rode up and over the raised portion on your truck. I can think of only 1 way that this would happen. On each hinge, there is also a bolt that runs horizontally in the middle of the hinge. If you are looking at it, it looks like it is on the door side of the hinge. The purpose of this bolt is to hold the two hinge halves together and keep the door from sliding up the hinge pin. In order to remove a door from your truck, you would take out that bolt on each hinge and lift the door off the hinge pins. Remember, these hinges are welded to the body and doors. In your case, if those two bolts were missing (top hinge and bottom hinge), it would allow the door to ride up and over the door stops if the door was flung open with a lot of force. Check and see if those bolts are missing. If they are, I would say you have a very good case for a warranty repair.

Archived