I've got an 03 and I'm looking to change the fuel filter. I'm new to diesels. I see that its a canister under the hood. Is there anything special i should know when changing it? Or just unscrew and rescrew like your oil filter?

Is there a filter anywhere else that i should do, or is that the only one?

Thanks

Wow this must be some hardcore tech. So hardcore that no one can tell me the finer points on changing my fuel filter.

Guess maybe I should have asked a question more suitable like what size tires can I fit on my truck, how many mpg can my truck get, or what programmer is best for my truck.

Wow this must be some hardcore tech. So hardcore that no one can tell me the finer points on changing my fuel filter.

Guess maybe I should have asked a question more suitable like what size tires can I fit on my truck, how many mpg can my truck get, or what programmer is best for my truck.

Sometimes the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet.

Sometimes the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet.

Good advice, but to someone who has built Jeep from the ground up, sitting on a custom 4 link suspension, full width axles and a twin turbo 350 thats something I already knew :driving:

But I don't like to turn my daily driver into a learning experience.

Crap. I just typed it all out and the forum burped on me. Ok, no flowery prose, just the facts...

Unscrew the old filter, remove the water in fuel sensor from the bottom of it, put it in the new filter. Screw the new filter on. done.

You'll have to bleed the air out. There's a black, plastic screw on the top of the filter housing. Remove that. There's a silver thing that sticks up out of the filter housing that looks sorta like the bottom of a small can. That's the priming pump. Pump that thing until fuel comes out the bleed screw hole. You want pure fuel coming out, running all over your engine and frame, no air.

You're done. If the forum fails on me again, I'm done. BTW, I don't think there is a "Diesel Engine Tech" in here... but I could be wrong. I know it ain't me!

The best thing to do is remove the fender liner on the passenger side to get a real good look at it before you tear into it and break something. Make sure the gaskets come off with the old one and use the new ones supplied with the new filter. After changing it out, unscrew the air bleed screw on top of the filter housing (does not need to be removed), then pump it till fuel comes out. Try to use a nut driver on that plastic screw too. Make sure everything is connected and start it up, check for leaks, then you're done.

Any more questions let me know, and next time watch your mouth! :driving:

• 3 weeks later...

GM-TECH thanks for the info, are you the same tech in Chevytalk?? If so ,,thanks for all your time and info! :cheers:

Mschaffer66, good question. I have been around gas my whole, oldass life, but diesel is new to me too. I suppose if I read my owner manual it will tell me the right way to do it, but I havent ventured there yet, only have 8000 mi on the current filter. When is your change due,,maybe we can have a support group on this,LOL!!! This is my first diesel,, having been a gas lover, and still am for cars,,but I now feel sorry for people that still own gas trucks!!! Alas,,we have da power! Frank :seeya:

Gm-Tech has it right. Not really much to it, and if you have a steady hand you won't spill any fuel when taking out the old filter. You will encounter problems getting the filter out because of the A/C plumbing. It's OK to push gently on the one line that is in the way towards the firewall and bend it some to allow clearance. It won't take much to allow the filter to clear when pulling it from the top. Some take out the 2nd battery and some go through the wheelwell. It's not that difficult.

Be very careful with the priming screw that you have to back out to prime the fuel system. It's plastic and will break off if you torque on it too hard. Believe me, I know!! Remember to get all the new gaskets on the new filter and water in fuel sensor and you'll be good to go. If it doesn't start, back the screw out and prime some more to eliminate any air in the system.

Good Luck

I have an 03 as well and I went with the removing the passenger side battery. I didn't like the idea of bending an AC line and heard getting those inner fender fastners back in was a pain. I actually benefited from removing the battery as I saw it had leaked so GM had to replace the battery, tray etc under warranty.

As for bleeding the fuel filter I bought this T-valve kit that makes it easier and a lot less messy. I do need to get an oil filter wrench that fits the filter as the one I had didn't so had to use channel locks.

This thread on this forum gets very few posts so the folks that know may not visit here too often. You can get much faster Diesel info on dedicated Diesel forums. I always figure filters are pretty standard stuff on most outfits and usally changing them is not overly difficult. (JMHO)

Archived