Problem Starting

reynolds

Question

Hello,

I have a 1989 GMC Sierra K1500 XC with a 350 V8 5.7 liter engine. I recently bought the truck, and have since replaced the fuel filter, plugs, and distributor cap. I've also had the compression checked, and everything checked out ok. Now, when I try to start the truck, it may "start" for a second then quit. Other times it will start, but then begin to run very rough with white smoke coming out of the dual exhaust. After I give it some gas, it seems to calm down and run normal. But, since I can't always get the truck running, it tends to be a big problem. This seems to happen normally when it has been damp outside, after a rain or some other type of precipitation. I've tried fuel injector cleaner, and I'm not sure if it has helped or not. Any ideas of what I should do, other than junk it?

Thanks,

Chris

0 answers to this question

Hey,

Thanks for all the replies. I think I finally got it fixed. I replaced the gasket in between the throttle body and manifold, and put a new Coolant Temperature Sensor on. The sensor appears to have been the real problem.

Thanks Again,

Chris

MOST COMMON PROBLEM THAT I HAVE FOUND WITH THAT TYPE OF CONCERN THAT BE THE DISTRIBUTOR ASSM, THE STATOR TENDS TO CRACK AND WHEN MOISIER IS IN THE AIR IT WILL EFFECT IT.

NOW WITH OUT ANY MORE INFO THAT WOULD BE AT THE TOP OF MY LIST TO CHECK OUT AND REPLACE,

TO FIX IT I THING YOU CAN REBUILD THE DISTRIBUTOR, BUT IT WOULD BE BETTER JUST TO REPLACE THE HOLE ASSM, COST ABOUT $120.00 FROM AUTOZONE, BUT YOU WILL NEED A TIMMING LIGHT, TIMING SPEC.

IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO EMAIL ME AND I CAN HELP YOU

Archived