Clutch Trouble.

This post is for my dad- He has an 01 Silverado RCSB with the 4.3L and a 5 speed w/56K miles. He has a problem with his clutch- It works fine-as long as you mash it all the way to the floor, and it picks up IMMEDIATELY off the floor. There is NO upward travel before engagement. After 1/2-3/4 inch off the floor its all the way engaged. It still grips good-you can stall it out easy if you are not expecting the clutch pickup- I am just wondering if there is any way to get some more travel off the floor before it picks up. It has been bled to get the air out several times....I don't know what the problem is. It still shifts fine, and its not really making any funky noises either. Any help/suggestions appreciated..... :cheers:

On my 1988 manual transmission, there is a threaded plug on the side of the clutch housing so you can make sure the piston goes into the clutch fork in the dimple after doing maintenance. If your's is anywhere near like mine, you have to remove the slave valve and tip it up when bleeding to make sure you get all of the air out. At least if you remove the plug, you can see a little of whats going on. Are there any leaks anywhere?

Nope, no leaks on it. The fluid level in the master cylinder stays consistent. I haven't got the truck here with me- its ~120miles away. I looked at it with Dad a week or two ago-didn't notice the plug on the tranny but I wasn't looking for it- I'll have to check that out. We haven't pulled the slave out yet, I'll try bleeding it with it tipped up too. I'm going to swap trucks with him later on this week to work on it for him. Just trying to get some ideas before I tear into it. I do have a Haynes manual but it is pretty vague on tranny work other than removal and replacement. Thanks!

I've replaced the clutch on my 1988 K1500 4 times in the past 18 years and it is a biatch. I've got it down to about 8 hours though with lunch and taking the flywheel to the shop to get it turned.

If you can get access to the clutch fork piston thru the inspection hole, make sure it is bottomed out in the dimple of the clutch fork end. You can stick your finger in there and see. After you take your finger out, have a helper depress the clutch pedal and see if the piston moves immediately or not. That may narrow your troubleshooting. I think a whole slave assy is about $40 if you decide to replace it, I can't remember exactly, because that was about 4 years ago. Let me know what you find!

Archived