Will I regret it?

I'm leaning towards the 6.0 over the 8.1 in a 2500 4wd Suburban (I'd get the 4.10 axles). From an UNLOADED daily driving perspective (I don't need to tow more than a couple of dirt bikes), will I regret this decision?

When the time comes (I'll probably wait until my truck is a year old), will a Westers custom program do as much for a 6.0 (in terms of increase in power, MPG and driveability) as it would for an 8.1?

I'm reluctant to pay about $2,000 extra at purchase (for the 8.1 and the required autoride) for the right to get even suckier MPG than the 6.0 would get. Gas is $2.60 or so a gallon here and I understand that I should not expect better than 9 MPG city with an 8.1 (where a 6.0 would get about 11).

Thanks!

I'm leaning towards the 6.0 over the 8.1 in a 2500 4wd Suburban (I'd get the 4.10 axles).  From an UNLOADED daily driving perspective (I don't need to tow more than a couple of dirt bikes), will I regret this decision? 

When the time comes (I'll probably wait until my truck is a year old), will a Westers custom program do as much for a 6.0 (in terms of increase in power, MPG and driveability) as it would for an 8.1? 

I'm reluctant to pay about $2,000 extra at purchase (for the 8.1 and the required autoride) for the right to get even suckier MPG than the 6.0 would get.  Gas is $2.60 or so a gallon here and I understand that I should not expect better than 9 MPG city with an 8.1 (where a 6.0 would get about 11). 

Thanks!

No you wont regret it, theres not that much differance in gas mileage between the both as I had a 2001 6.0 with 4:11 gears got abot 13 on the highway and 9 around town.A buddy of mine has the 8.1 and he gets the same mpg as I did when I had mine and for what your going to do with it you wont have any problem at all but with the 8.1 you get the allison tranny which is a sweet transmission.

I'm leaning towards the 6.0 over the 8.1 in a 2500 4wd Suburban (I'd get the 4.10 axles).  From an UNLOADED daily driving perspective (I don't need to tow more than a couple of dirt bikes), will I regret this decision? 

I'm reluctant to pay about $2,000 extra at purchase (for the 8.1 and the required autoride) for the right to get even suckier MPG than the 6.0 would get.  Gas is $2.60 or so a gallon here and I understand that I should not expect better than 9 MPG city with an 8.1 (where a 6.0 would get about 11). 

Thanks!

I can't help you with your decision, but I'm taking delivery of my 8.1 Yukon XL in a few weeks. With the 8.1 in the 'Burban/XL, you do not get the Allison tranny, but the 'regular' heavy duty automatic. The Allison is only available in the HD pickups. I plan on driving mine a while and just breaking it in and getting used to it, then working on uncorking what is really in there.

Good Luck and have some fun! :cheers:

Jim

If you are not really towing anything with it, Why not get the 6.0 but with the 3.73 gears instead??

I love my 6.0, and you will get slightly better mileage too with the 3.73.....

4.10 are nice when towing a good load....

I would suggest considering the 8.1 with a 3.73 rear end. I think your mileage would be very similar to the 6.0 with 4.10, and you will have plenty of power to tow. If you're not towing extremely heavy, the 8.1 will do fine with the 3.73 rear end.

towing heavy load.....get the 8.1

towing a few bikes or a few thousand #s, get the 6.0.

I went thru the same dilemma. At the time, I was only towing bikes, and smaller boats. Now I have a 28' Toy Box trailer and MAN do I wish I had sprung for the 8.1.

It all depends what you want to tow with it. If towing isnt a priority, Id get the 6.0. Mileage seems really close between the 2 engines.

Thank you for all the input.

Is mileage that close between the 6.0 and the 8.1? Even if the difference is just 2 MPG, it ends up being a 20% or so difference in gas dollars spent. I read all the MPG related posts, and I still don't have a good sense of what MPG the 6.0 and the 8.1 get in a 4wd Suburban (my guess is 10-11 city for the 6.0 and 8-10 city for the 8.1).

I hear that the Westers tune really wakes up the 6.0. Is the difference a tune makes for the 8.1 as big a night/day difference?

Thanks again.

Thank you for all the input.

Is mileage that close between the 6.0 and the 8.1?  Even if the difference is just 2 MPG, it ends up being a 20% or so difference in gas dollars spent.  I read all the MPG related posts, and I still don't have a good sense of what MPG the 6.0 and the 8.1 get in a 4wd Suburban (my guess is 10-11 city for the 6.0 and 8-10 city for the 8.1). 

I hear that the Westers tune really wakes up the 6.0.  Is the difference a tune makes for the 8.1 as big a night/day difference? 

Thanks again.

I've had my SSS with the 6.0 and it has the AWD, I'm averaging about 15mpg slightly modded, nothing more than a pcmforless tune from bryan. The difference that tune make, really woke up that truck, it was quick before, and now it's even better. I have heard the 2wd SSS's have been getting about 2+mpg better than that on average so I can imagine that a new burban 2wd would do ok, and you won't regret the 6.0L, it tows like crazy if you need it to even with the TM turned off, and it'll have some get up and go. Definitly a tune, 160deg stat, and a cai to start off with.

towing a couple of dirt bikes, I'd get 6.0 3.73:1

I pull a 3500 lb boat with my 1500HD 4x4 6.0 3.73 with absolutely no complaints regarding power or mileage. I wouldnt think the 2500 4x4 sub would be alot different in weight from mine. I've pulled larger loads with satisfaction too, -a trailerload of dirt bikes and camping stuff and 5 people, the 6.0 is a fine motor for the job.

If you are towing only dirt bikes and gas mileage is an issue, go with the 6.0 and the highest gear you can. are 3.42's available?? Not too familiar with the Subs. I now have 410's in my 2005 and had 342's in my 2004. The 342's were not lacking in pulling power at all eventhough the 410 are noticably stronger but the 342's are in no way weak. The biggest difference I notice is gas mileage. 21.5 with my 342's compared to 15-16 with my 410's.

I was going to go with the 4.10s on the theories that (i) I'd effectively end up with higher gearing due to the fact that I'm going to put bigger tires on (285/75s) and (ii) I still want snappy acceleration when I'm unloaded (wouldn't 3.42, or even a 3.73, axles, when combined with bigger tires, lead to poor acceleration?)

Is my reasoning off base?

Archived