Lights Burning Out

To date the following items have been replaced because of burnt bulbs:

- 3 of the 4 steering wheel controls

- switch for the headlights

- switch for the fog/cargo lights

- switch for the transfer case

- radio

- climate control head unit

All of these were covered by my extended warranty, but I can't figure out why they would be burning out in the first place. Does anyone have any insight on why this is happening?

(Truck has 89K miles on it right now and the first switches started going out at ~50K)

Thanks,

-Wardster

When I bought my truck it had 58K on it and two radio lights were out, the A/C button lights were out, and the 4WD switch lights were out. They are easy to fix if you can solder, but I don't know why they burn out so fast. I have never had a vehicle where the dash lights burned out, until now.

A couple of my AC lights are out too. I guess they didn't use the long lifes! :chevy:

Bart, you don't happen to remember what bulbs go in the AC controls do ya? I couldn't find it in any searches and I'd like to have them here before I tear it all apart.

- radio

All of these were covered by my extended warranty, but I can't figure out why they would be burning out in the first place. Does anyone have any insight on why this is happening?

(Truck has 89K miles on it right now and the first switches started going out at ~50K)

Thanks,

-Wardster

What's your voltmeter reading immediately after starting, then when running? Might want to try putting a good voltmeter on it and check the readings to see if everything is alright and if your voltmeter is even working.

DEWFPO

What's your voltmeter reading immediately after starting, then when running? Might want to try putting a good voltmeter on it and check the readings to see if everything is alright and if your voltmeter is even working.

DEWFPO

I agree. If your alternator / regulator is putting out too much voltage, or if your battery has a loose connection and occasionally drops out of the circuit, you might be getting some 16v or 20v surges and that might do in your bulbs.

My '95 K3500 never lost one bulb in all its 10 years /150,000 miles.

A couple of my AC lights are out too.  I guess they didn't use the long lifes!  :confused:

Bart, you don't happen to remember what bulbs go in the AC controls do ya?  I couldn't find it in any searches and I'd like to have them here before I tear it all apart.

You can get the bulbs at Radio Shack. The part number is 272-1154 and they are $1.49 each. As for how to solder them in, you have to take apart the front of theHVAC unit and get to the printed circuit board. These little buggers are soldered into it. If you have never soldered anything before, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. If you overheat the printed circuit board, you could damage the whole thing. These are the same bulbs for the radio buttons and the 4WD switch buttons.

I've got two radio buttons out. The 4x4 lights are out. The AC light is out. The window and door switches on the doors are out. My fogs lights won't even come on. I called GM and they said to bring it in and they would give me a quote to fix it. The service manager said he had never heard of this happening. I say B/S. If any of you guys figure out the problem let me know. I gonna try and figure out my problem. :confused:

I just got done replacing the two A/C lights I had out. Worked like a charm! Thanks for the help Bart. Only thing different is my Radio Shack was charging $1.49 per bulb. I guess the word got out that they are popular so they jacked up the prices. Even though nobody else noticed, it makes me feel better that they are working. :confused:

- radio

All of these were covered by my extended warranty, but I can't figure out why they would be burning out in the first place.  Does anyone have any insight on why this is happening?

Thanks,

-Wardster

Which extended warranty do you have that covers it?

Which extended warranty do you have that covers it?

I purchased an extended warranty through a thrid-party (National Auto Care) that the dealership worked with. Specifically, I purchased the Pinnacle Protection Plan that they offered.

The first time I had the truck in for this issue, they replaced the radio and the 4x4 switch. This last time they tried to tell me that they did not replace bulbs and initially denied coverage. I sent the VP a well-crafted letter that included things like "bad faith denial of coverage" and "I have been advised to request a written denial" and suggested he call me to discuss. I sent it to him via fax and within fifteen minutes had a call from him saying they would take care of the problem for me. My whole argument revolved around the switch being bad since the bulb was an integral part of it and could not be replaced. The first item listed in the "Electrical System" coverage was switches, so I had a valid claim.

-Wardster

DEWFPO

The voltmeter in the instrument cluster reads ess than 14 when the truck is first started and runs just over 14 when she warms up. I will hook a better voltmeter up to it and check it then.

-Wardster

I purchased an extended warranty through a thrid-party (National Auto Care) that the dealership worked with.  Specifically, I purchased the Pinnacle Protection Plan that they offered.

The first time I had the truck in for this issue, they replaced the radio and the 4x4 switch.  This last time they tried to tell me that they did not replace bulbs and initially denied coverage.  I sent the VP a well-crafted letter that included things like "bad faith denial of coverage" and "I have been advised to request a written denial" and suggested he call me to discuss.  I sent it to him via fax and within fifteen minutes had a call from him saying they would take care of the problem for me.  My whole argument revolved around the switch being bad since the bulb was an integral part of it and could not be replaced.  The first item listed in the "Electrical System" coverage was switches, so I had a valid claim.

-Wardster

That is what I was wondering as usually bulbs are not covered but a switch is. I also agree for those particular bulbs they should be covered as part of the switch.

Archived