Leaf-springs making noise

opg4

Hey Guys hows it going!!

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Sliverado 2500 HD 6.0 liter as you can see below.

It seems My rear leafs are making a grinding noise when I go in and out over my drive-way to the street. Also it makes noise when going over speed bumbs, I think it is the leafs grinding together but the Stealer says no, Does anyone have the same problem or did??. Let me know what to tell the dealer they are saying its my N-fab nerf bars which is bull!!! :D I told them there is no way. Also when I move the truck side to side at the rear by shaking it, the leafs make the noise. Any help would be great guys and gals. Thanks in advance!!!! :P

P.s. If anyone has taken to Stealer let me know how they fixed the problem.

This noise just annoys me!!! :driving: Thanks.

Hey Guys hows it going!!

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Sliverado 2500 HD 6.0 liter as you can see below.

It seems My rear leafs are making a grinding noise when I go in and out over my drive-way to the street. Also it makes noise when going over speed bumbs, I think it is the leafs grinding together but the Stealer says no, Does anyone have the same problem or did??. Let me know what to tell the dealer they are saying its my N-fab nerf bars which is bull!!!  :D  I told them there is no way. Also when I move the truck side to side at the rear by shaking it, the leafs make the noise. Any help would be great guys and gals. Thanks in advance!!!! :P

P.s. If anyone has taken to Stealer let me know how they fixed the problem.

This noise just annoys me!!! :driving: Thanks.

If speed bumps OR driveway bumps cause the noise, I'd look again at the nerf bars. Both situations are a lot more likely to twist your frame than they are to compress the rear springs. Nerf bars will not like to be twisted along with the frame, so they'll possibly chatter or squeak in protest.

Have a helper stand on the rear corner of the bed (or on one end of the back bumper) and then quickly stand up and squat down a little, over and over, about 2x per second. Try to get the ol' truck a jigglin', and see if the resulting frame flex can cause the grinding noise...then find where it's coming from.

My 2005 2500HD has never made any grinding noise at the rear springs.

Thanks for the reply mmmikkke !!!!!!!!!!

The weird thing it made the noise before the steps were on, The steps have only been on for about 1000 miles. I wll try your technique. Thanks for the advice!!! Anybody else have any other solutions.

Anyone?????? :driving:

This noise is driving me crazy!!!!!!!1111111

I agree that it is most likely the nerf bars. It's actually pretty common for them to do that. Take them off and see if goes away then you'll know for sure. If it's not that see if you have any suspension bushings that are bad.

Thanks for the reply

I did Just finish taking off the nerf-bars and low and behold it still makes that same ugly annoying noise. Will take a look at the bushing. What should I look for??, If you know let me know. Thanks Fellow Trucker!!! :driving:

So were you able to cause the noise by jiggling the truck or not?

If not, ride in the bed and listen for which side the noise is coming from while a helper drives over speed bumps or in and out of the driveway. Try to narrow it down.

If something is grinding that bad it's going to leave a mark. Slide under the truck and start looking at everthing that moves and look for bare metal or scratches. That will indicate the point of contact. Look all around the exhaust pipes where they would come close to the rear or suspension under compression and extension. Check that the spare tire is still snug, actually I found mine loose at the muffler shop day before yesterday and this reminds me to go crank it tight again as soon as I finish this. Check that all fasteners throughout are in place and tight, from rear axle to bumper to bed. Look closely at your aftermarket shocks, a loose shock bolt will make lots of noise over bumps. Check the exhaust for loose or broken hangers. Look on the springs, the leafs slide over one anthother at thier ends as the spring is flexed, check for a rough surface indicating a missing slide bushing and or a foriegn object embedded inbetween them. Look for evidence of a loose or misrouted parking brake cable making contact with the tires or springs. I don't know why you have the custom rear cover but make sure it's able to cycle without hitting anything near-by. Don't forget about the driveshaft.

It may be possible to support the frame up with jack stands and use a floor jack to oscilate the rear axle. Then when it starts popping or scraping you can see where it's coming from.

Vernon

you can do a brake stand (left foot on the brake all the way, right foot on the gas lightly) that will twist the frame, this is what hte dealer does to check for vibrations  :confused:

But don't do it for more than 15 or 20 seconds. The trans will get hot quickly.

In fact, I don't think this is a good diagnostic technique. It's cheap and dirty, that's why the dealer does it. "Nope, couldn't get it to squeak. Must not be a probem."

We've all heard that one before.

I have a noise from my leafs and saw on there that there is a fix by putting pads on the helper leaf. It is better described a a clunk then a grind though. Could this be your complaint? Mine does it whenever I go over a speed bump, rr tracks or rough potholes. Might want to have them check this. The frame does not have to twist, it is on the compression of the springs. Might do a search through here for it as others have experienced this.

I've had the same problem for a while now and had it to the dealer 2-3 times and getting ready to take it back again. They first thought it was the rear axles but no fix. They installed the isolators in the springs but that didn't help much or at least not for long. Now it is bad again and is headed back and possibly new spring packs. I hate it because it sounds like a old POS Ford truck with about 300K miles on it.

Hey Guys Thanks for the replys!!

mmmikkke! I did what you said and it is coming from the leafs. They are Clunking or making a similer noise like "oldredhat6" says. Just couldnt make the noise.Thanks,

****"Haulin' 8.1" The reason I have a aftermarket rearend cover is because it holds more fluid, I do alot of towing!! If I gave one to you I bet you will use it!!! :confused:

"oldredhat6" thanks for your reply I will search other posts.

"03GMC2500HD" Yeah it does sound like a old fo**!!!! I hate it also!!

Thanks guys will look somemore at the leafs. Also truck only has 4500 miles.

Try soaking your springs and the spring eyes (ends) with a penetrating oil.

Had a '78 1/2 ton that developed an annoying grating noise like you describe and ended up oiling the leafs every LOF. Cured the symptom if not the problem.

Joe

Thanks Highland for the reply!!

Will try that. I am going to tell the dealer about the leaf-spring insulators.

Archived