Service stabilitrak

Dave B

So I have 2018 Silverado 1500 crew, 400 miles currently on it. I put a 2.5 inch leveling kit with the accommodating upper control arms able withstand the larger angle from the leveling kit. Put this kit in around 200 miles on the truck. All went well trick has been aligned since and everything was great until yesterday I started getting a “service stabilitrak” “service ABS” and “service trailer brakes” as well as my cruise control not working. Turning the truck off and restarting does not clear it. The truck drives great still and the lights will clear goin down the road and then will randomly come back on without doing anything in particular. Checked my front and rear ABS wires which all look good. Don’t think it has to do with the leveling kit because the truck has been great the last few hundreds miles without a glitch. Now I can’t even go a few miles without my dash lighting up like a Christmas tree. Got an appointment with the dealer this week, just wondering if anyone else has ran into any of the same issues..

I have dealt with electrical issues for the past 3 months with GM. Truck is in for the 5th time now for them. Not necessarily related because mine is Radio and Instrument cluster, but I have gotten a Service Stabiltrek warning before because of it. My dads brand new Canyon was in the other week for electrical issues as well. 

Take it into the shop and let them troubleshoot it. Not all their trucks do this, you just got unlucky. I would not imagine the front level is causing this as every other person on this forum has a leveling kit without issues. 

I posted this reply in other threads:

Search these forums for things like "G218 ground", "PIT5405", and "electrical issues - fixed".  These trucks can have a bad ground connection or defective battery cables that reduce the voltage going to the BCM.  This causes the computer to go haywire, throw a bunch of codes, and can sometimes rip the electric steering out of your hand.

The G218 ground is easy to check by yourself but the other things listed in the PIT should probably be checked by a dealer. 

Thank you all for all the input! A local shop with the newest n greatest alignment rack did my alignment and they did recalibrate all of my steering angle sensor. After a visit to the dealer they found the passenger side abs wire was rubbing on the upper control arm and wore a hole through the insulation and whenever it made contact with the control arm it was grounding out giving me the service codes. New wire on order hopefully that’ll fix my problem! Will update on the outcome.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/27/2018 at 8:53 PM, Dave B said:

Thank you all for all the input! A local shop with the newest n greatest alignment rack did my alignment and they did recalibrate all of my steering angle sensor. After a visit to the dealer they found the passenger side abs wire was rubbing on the upper control arm and wore a hole through the insulation and whenever it made contact with the control arm it was grounding out giving me the service codes. New wire on order hopefully that’ll fix my problem! Will update on the outcome.

so what was the outcome?

• 1 year later...

I have 2017 Silverado 1500. At 72,000 miles I had to replace the transmission. Replaced it with a brand new (not refurbished) GM transmission. After it was replaced I was running late to work and was driving 95 - 105 mph. The service stabilitrak came on and I lost almost all power. No cruise control, traction control light came on, and no indicator for transmission position. I pulled over and killed the truck for a few minutes, cranked back up and was fine for about another 10 miles then the same again. While trying to drive with the service stabilitrak on, I had my foot to the floor and could barely do 65mph. Went back to the shop that replaced the transmission and they couldn’t figure out anything. This has happened multiple times now over the last 20,000 miles. PLEASE HELP!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a 2019 Silverado LD and I  replaced my front brake pads yesterday, and now I am getting these same messages. I looked over everything and don't see where anything is wrong/broken/damaged.

Edited by Dagwood Designs

• 3 months later...

2018 Silverado Z71 1500. I first notice my steering getting tight. Truck dies in the parking lot but it come right back on immediately. I thought maybe the keys on my key ring maybe turned the key slightly in ignition because no codes or engine light come on. Next day, with only truck key in ignition it dies on me again while I’m on the road, this time throws engine light and says service stablitrak, and says Action Required “Open driver window and close it” i cycle thru my vehicle info on dash, I notice all of my tire pressure sensors are not reading at all. 

On 11/10/2022 at 10:57 AM, jacobowen0217 said:

2018 Silverado Z71 1500. I first notice my steering getting tight. Truck dies in the parking lot but it come right back on immediately. I thought maybe the keys on my key ring maybe turned the key slightly in ignition because no codes or engine light come on. Next day, with only truck key in ignition it dies on me again while I’m on the road, this time throws engine light and says service stablitrak, and says Action Required “Open driver window and close it” i cycle thru my vehicle info on dash, I notice all of my tire pressure sensors are not reading at all. 

Check your battery, negative terminal cable and check the ground right behind the front passenger wheel housing. If your battery is old, the cable is damaged or if your ground is dirty/loose, it can cause these issues.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 9:57 AM, jacobowen0217 said:

Did you ever get this figured out? I’m having the exact same issue and the shop is booked up for another week. 

• 11 months later...

Was having trouble with stabilitrak for a few months now. Got a launch pro elite diagnostic tool. It gave me 2 codes c0267-00 and c0110-61. My truck showed brake fluid low and traction control warning as well. When I knocked on the abs module motor with a screw driver it fixed the problems. I also replaced the brake pedal sensor switch and cleaned the geound under on the pansenger side by the wheel. I hope this helps others

• Thanks 1