I've got the fever for a new 4-wheeler. Here are my choices right now:

Kawasaki Brute Force 650(brand new)

'05 Kawasaki Prairie 700(used)

'04 Honda Rincon 700(used)

Either of these three will cost me around $6K. Right now, I'm favoring the Brute Force 650. I like the Rincon styling, but I've heard the Brute Force will leave it in the dust. Any thoughts/opinions?

My dad's had his yamaha grizzly for about 4-5 years now, and that thing is a tough SOB.

He keeps it maintained regularly, and uses it on the farm all the time. The newer ones look nicer, but, I haven't ridden them.

The thing I like about his grizzly is the 4 wheel independant suspension. I've ridden the solid axle rear end models, and they are RoUgH. Another thing is the engine seems very well made. He's yet to have one problem with it. He changes the oil regularly, changes the air filter when it needs it, and takes it in once a year for maintenance, and it's never failed to start.

If/when I ever buy an ATV, I'll be looking into yamaha's.

With those options look at it this way. You've got 2 solid rear axle quads and one with independent all around (Rincon). Then you've got 2 cylinders on the Kawi's and only one on the Rincon. Twice as difficult to rejet and stuff. No clutches or belts to mess with on the Rincon either, but in turn there is no low range option like on the Kawi's.

Kawi's definitely faster in a drag race. Rincon will walk on both of them on fast trail riding. Yes it handles that good!

Depends on what you are looking to do. Kawi's have the ability to lock the front diffs as well, where Honda is torque sensing only with no lock. You can get a DGL for the Rincon which locks in the front when needed.

Simple conclusion, mud and drag racing = Kawi's, 650 been around the longest

Fast trails and comfort = Rincon

There are always pipes and tires too make the Rincon more on a level playing field too. Good luck in the decision, just make sure and got one of them! :chevy:

Thanks for the help, guys. Oh man, I just received pics of the '04 Rincon, and it's absolutely immaculate! Only 15miles/146 hours. A couple of my friends have Hondas, and they have never had problems with them, even after numerous runs through water. I'm going to try and check out the Brute Force 650 this weekend. Another question though...I've never bought anything used like this from an individual before. I was going to put a couple grand down and finance the rest. How do I go about doing that when buying from an individual? Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for the help, guys.  Oh man, I just received pics of the '04 Rincon, and it's absolutely immaculate!  Only 15miles/146 hours.  A couple of my friends have Hondas, and they have never had problems with them, even after numerous runs through water.  I'm going to try and check out the Brute Force 650 this weekend.  Another question though...I've never bought anything used like this from an individual before.  I was going to put a couple grand down and finance the rest.  How do I go about doing that when buying from an individual?  Thanks again for the help!

15 miles w/ 146 hours? Are you sure? If the hours are correct then the miles should be at around 2900. 146 hours X 20 mph. That's about the avg speed i cruise on the trails w/ my honda rancher

So what's the outcome? Machine has a point on the miles/hours. A 0.1 mph average can't be right. I'd have to check mine out to give a comparison for you. Got my new one in June 2004, only 500 some miles though. No, I don't get to ride enough! Depending on what kind of trails there are I could see 5 mph average pretty easy though. Got the last ride weekend with my club this weekend, so going to try and get some playing in myself. Only been about 5-6 weeks. Bet the Rinny is a little peaved at me. Let us know what is happening! I love to ride every chance I get! :banghead:

Go with a new Prairie 700. They can be had for under $6K. It will out manuever the other two easily. With the swing arm rear end, it will handle trails much better if you like driving fast. The Honda has a cushier ride, but that's about it. I was looking at a Rincon and they didn't impress me one bit in the mud/water. The 700 Prairie has more power than the 650 Brute or the Honda. There is almost no comparison. Honda's are great machines and you won't go wrong with any of the choices, but the Prairie is so much more fun. I'll guarantee you that. :banghead:

Archived