6.0L / Allison Combo???

Is this combo available? Does anybody have it? When I got my 2005 2500HD with the 6.0L/4L80E combo, I didn't think you could get the Allison with the 6.0L. I don't mind the 4L80E and has given me no problems so far but the Allison tranny is a nice piece. I like the available gear ratios in the Allison better than the 4L80E. What rear gear ratios would be available with this option?

Not available. It would be nice though. I think it takes quiet-a-few horses to spin the Allison 1000. They would have to enhance the 6.0L in the HD's to get the horses to the ground. Without the torque of a big block or diesel, I'm sure the fuel consumption of the small block would not be cost effective. I'm not a mechanic, so I may be way off-base though.

The Allison 1000's Gear Box was built to support ~ 1400 lbt of *shift* torque and transfer 600+lbft during acceleration. According to GM, the Allison can safely do this at no more than 4850 RPM.

I was told that if you reduce engine torque, the transmission can spin higher. So a Vortec 6000 or Vortec 8100 could spin the Allison 1000 higher than 4850 RPM since they both have much lower torque outputs.

I can only clarify some of this information though.

The Allison does have a big first gear edge and a tad better OD. I would like one too.

The Allison 1000's Gear Box was built to support ~ 1400 lbt of *shift* torque and transfer 600+lbft during acceleration.  According to GM, the Allison can safely do this at no more than 4850 RPM. 

I was told that if you reduce engine torque, the transmission can spin higher.  So a Vortec 6000 or Vortec 8100 could spin the Allison 1000 higher than 4850 RPM since they both have much lower torque outputs.

I can only clarify some of this information though.

The Allison does have a big first gear edge and a tad better OD.  I would like one too.

It would be best to use an 06 or 4th gen Allison as they have increased the rated rpm limit of the parts.

I think its also GM's idea, that the 6.0 "doesn't need" an allison or a 6 speed manual. Personally I'd love to see them drop the 5 speed and use the ZF 6 on all their engines in a 2500 and up trucks, and give a choice between the Allison or 4L80-E on all engines as well.

I'm not 100% sold on using an Allison on a gas motor (partially for the reason mentioned above). The 4L80-E can handle plenty of power with ease.

All this talk about 5 and 6 speed... It actually seems nice to shift. Maybe when i upgrade in 6 years to a Duramax ill get the standard. Who knows, also seems kinda tiresome after a while.

What lasts longer standard or auto? More durable, able to take the punishment of beatings?

All this talk about 5 and 6 speed...  It actually seems nice to shift.  Maybe when i upgrade in 6 years to a Duramax ill get the standard.  Who knows, also seems kinda tiresome after a while.

What lasts longer standard or auto?  More durable, able to take the punishment of beatings?

It depends on how much experience you have with stick shifts. If you've learned enough not to grind the gears 90% of the time, then the clutch on a manual ought to last a long time. Autos are supposedly not that good and it's apparent from the gear ratios they suffer some performance loss, but the Allison is supposed to be a pretty tough transmission. I've known a couple people with Allison/Duramax 2500s and they pull heavy equipment (like bulldozers and tractors) on a nearly daily basis and their trucks are still running good. Personally I like autos because I do mostly city driving and it's a pain in the ass to have to upshift and downshift every 10 seconds.

Archived