Whining sound

I have a 2500hd 4x4.. I have a whining sound when taking off...seems like when in first gear. It is coming from engine area. When you give it gas it whines up ...then when you brake and slow down it kind of whines down. The noise is annoying as hell!! Took it to the dealer twice and they say it is normal. Any of you guys experience this? One more thing ...( i just have to vent)....d**n this 6.0 engine is slow!!!!!! I could'nt get this thing to peel out if I mashed the pedal to the floor... I get passed up by wimpy lil trucks all say long ..heading up a on-ramp! I punch it and all it does is rev super high & sound like its gonna blow -up....and hardly moves...Whats up with these trucks ..Heave duty ..my ass!!! Maybe the tune will help ?! Thanks for your time

If the noise disappears as soon as it shifts to 2nd (or at least greatly lessens), then it's most likely the planetary gears.

The 4L80E is not the quietest tranny and there is more plantery gear noise in those than say, a 4L60E trans. Whether or not the noise you have is excessive even for the 4L80E is impossible to say without hearing it. The only way for you to know for sure is to compare it against identically equipped vehicles.

See if it does what you're describing in nuetral by revving the engine up and down. If so it's a frozen fan clutch. You would be hearing the fan churning up the air full tilt boogie. This also greatly slows down the acceleration and uses excessive fuel. If you can't spin the fan freely on a cold shut off engine it's another indicator.

Vernon

I think the whining sound is actually the hydroboost power brakes. The power steering pump, I think, provides high pressure hydraulic fluid to the brake booster, whether you're braking or not. Because of the design of the pump--maybe using some sort of piston mechanism to pressurize the fluid--the pressure is not steady, and instead pulsates between 90% and 110% of the "nominal" pressure. This pulsation resonates through the firewall because that is where the brake booster is mounted.

The whining comes and goes due to the aireation of the power steering fluid. The more air that there is in it, the more compressible the fluid is, and when it's compressible, the pulsation is diminished (now pulsating between 95% and 105% of "nominal"), so you hear less noise.

In other words, when the fluid's not aireated, you hear more whining. When the fluid is aireated, you hear less whine.

That is why the whine is most noticeable during the first few miles of a trip. After the truck sits for a few hours, any air in the fluid escapes. The fluid approaches its incompressible ideal. But after you start driving, the aireation of the fluid increases, and the whine diminishes.

That being said, it's not that all hydroboost brake systems have this problem. My '95 K3500 had hydroboost brakes and did not whine at all. But my '05 K2500HD (same exact gvw as the '95 K3500) has this whine.

It doesn't bother me now that I know where it's coming from and why it's happening.

I have a 2500hd 4x4..  I have a whining sound when taking off...seems like when in first gear.  It is coming from engine area.  When you give it gas it whines up ...then when you brake and slow down it kind of whines down.  The noise is annoying as hell!!  Took it to the dealer twice and they say it is normal.  Any of you guys experience this?    One more thing ...( i just have to vent)....d**n this 6.0 engine is slow!!!!!!  I could'nt get this thing to peel out if I mashed the pedal to the floor... I get passed up by wimpy lil trucks all say long ..heading up a on-ramp!  I punch it and all it does is rev super high & sound like its gonna blow -up....and hardly moves...Whats up with these trucks ..Heave duty ..my ass!!!  Maybe the tune will help ?!  Thanks for your time

I have had the same whining issue with my truck since new. Any many of my buddy's Silverados whine as well. The dealer gave me the "they all do that" line when I asked about it. Unfortunately, I think he's right. I have driven two brand new '05 K2500HDs in the past couple of months, and they both whined louder than my '04 with 13000 miles on it.

I'm not a tech and I haven't got a clue what causes of this noise. But I do know that it is louder at lower speeds when the motor is cold, especially when turning from a complete stop.

It's not you: this whine is real.

I drive a lot of different trucks, many with hydroboost and I don't recall hearing any whine from the hydroboost.

:cool: Dittos. Never heard a hydroboost system whine at the brake booster. Noise from the pump shouldn't be transferred through the power steering fluid. Now I have had a break booster not seal well where it bolts to the firewall, and the engine noise was annoyingly loud, however, that was nothing that a bead of silicone couldn't fix. :D

If the noise disappears as soon as it shifts to 2nd (or at least greatly lessens), then it's most likely the planetary gears. 

The 4L80E is not the quietest tranny and there is more plantery gear noise in those than say, a 4L60E trans.  Whether or not the noise you have is excessive even for the 4L80E is impossible to say without hearing it.    The only way for you to know for sure is to compare it against identically equipped vehicles.

Thats exactly what happened with my truck, only in first gear.

Once it shifts to second it was fine.

Took it to the dealer and told them it sounded like a Diesel ......

Service manager said the was a service bulletin on the planetary gears for excessive noise.

Had it repaired at 20k, im at 22k and its stilll seems fine !

JR

I have that same whine on my 06 1500HD crew 4x4 with just under 2000 miles. I thought it was related to my tire/rim change from stock to 285/75r16 on 16x8 rims. The whine/hum is not there constantly.. rather hit and miss, mostly when cold or after sitting. I was thinking something to do with the braking system or drivetrain whine. I may be taking the truck in to the dealership since i've recently developed an intermitent brake sqweek and was hoping to get a little more info on others in a similar situation.

I too have this "whine" everyone is talking about. It seems to be intermittent and is most common in first gear although it can sometimes be heard in second gear once in awhile. Like NorCal Patriot said, it seems to happen after it is cold and has been sitting a while.

I went to the local GM dealer yesterday and they pulled up a Tech Service Bulletin reffering to my problem. It states "the 4L80E/4L85E auto trans. may experience a condition of planetary gear whine noise in first and second gear. The planetary gear noise is typically louder in first gear as compared to second."

The trans. guy who was dealling with me said they are roughly cut when they are built and so comes the noise. He told me about a month ago he replaced the planetary gears in another truck with the same problem. Said the truck came back a few weeks later with the tranny starting to whine again. He told me we could go ahead and replace it but i would be in the same boat as far as having the same problem repeating itself.

GM states at the bottom of the bulletin in the Reccomendation/Instructions: "If it is determined that a vehicle has an abnormal amount of noise and the transmission was built after 9-01-03, inspect and replace the output planetary gearset (661 - Output Carrier Assembly and 650 - Sun Gear) as necessary. Also replace the output shaft (671) and set rear end play between .005" - .025" using correct selective thrust washer (674). Also on 4WD vehicles, check for any obvious misalignment with the transfer case or possible driveline imbalance and correct as necessary. Misalignment or imbalance can contribute to a possible repeat or concern."

After i got home from the dealership, i layed under the truck in the driveway and noticed ATF slowly dripping from the tailshaft. Right off the rear seal where the driveshaft connects. Don't know if this has anything to do with this problem and it doubt it does....but who likes ATF dripping with only 5,450 miles on brand new truck.

Its bad enough that my wife notices the sound and says, "It sounds like you have a diesel." I guess referring to the turbo she hears because it almost sounds similiar to the "whining noise". Anyhow, my worry is that if i get this mess replaced, i dont want really want the sound coming back. So, what to do??

Yeh...Everyone that rides in my truck tells me.....d**n, this thing whines like a diesel....and hardly moves! Do most of you 2500hd guys experience the total lack of power in these trucks? I literally have to floor this truck till its screaming like it wants to blow-up....just to get it to move...Its by far the worst vehicle I've owned !!!

I also have this whining with my '05 2500..... it sounds like crap but I everything I have read says this is "normal" (I write it off as another GM engineering / quality problem :shakehead: ). Pay more money for a truck and have to put up with "normal" things like this?!?!

As far as the power issue, get the truck tuned..... you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference (at least I was with my Wait4meperformance tune). I'm not saying the truck is a dragster now but I was very pleased with the increased acceleration and firmer shifting.

I have an 05 2500HD with 6.0 4:10 gears. I've owned a Dodge and an Ford F250 Superduty and the GMC is by far the best truck I've ever owned. I don't have the whine you've been talking about though. As for the speed/power issue, these trucks are not built for speed, especially with 4:10's. They are built to be strong to carry loads and pull trailers.

If you want something fast, get a sports car.

:cheers:

Charley

I have an 05 2500HD with 6.0 4:10 gears.  I've owned a Dodge and an Ford F250 Superduty and the GMC is by far the best truck I've ever owned.  I don't have the whine you've been talking about though. As for the speed/power issue, these trucks are not built for speed, especially with 4:10's. They are built to be strong to carry loads and pull trailers.

If you want something fast, get a sports car.

:D

Charley

You have brought up a good point.. I have driven a Ford 250 and it was not a good driving truck at all. It seemed that I had to "chase" it.... seem to wander alot on the road (I have heard complaints from Ford owners on this issue). I would hate to drive a loaded Ford if it drove like that empty (with just 5 people in it). My GMC does drive much better than the Ford :cheers: . You're lucky that you don't have the whining issue.... it gets a bit annoying. Sounds like a power steering pump but I have checked the fluid and it is fine :D .

As far as the sports car... I have one of those too so I couldn't agree more :D . I was just looking for that little extra "umph" when I got the computer tuned in the truck... and it worked well (might as well use all of what GM gave us as far as engine performance).

Archived