transmission whine

pm26

Question

I have an '06 Z71 crew cab 1500 series pickup with about 1700 miles on it. The engine is 5.3 liter, differential gear ratio is 3.73:1, and it has the autotrac type transfer case. I have noticed that at very low speeds (1-15 MPH) I hear faint but distinct whine that appears to be coming from the transmission or transfer case. This whine is in first gear and also in 2nd gear at very low speeds. (It is very similar to whine a power steering pump makes when low on fluid, except it is not as loud.) When I accelerate to higher speeds, this whine dispapears. Is this normal in these vehicles or something I should be concerned about? I checked the transmission fluid level when I bought the truck and it was fine.

0 answers to this question

I am beginning to think that the noise is coming from my alternator. I hear the noise most distinctly at nigh with all lights on with the alternator fully charging. When it is not charging, the noise seems to disappear. I experienced it this morning. Anybody had a noisy alternator like this?

I asked the same question about a month or so ago and had a similar response. I have a 2006 1500HD Crewcab 4x4 with the 6.0 and 4l80 tranny.

The sound is hard to replicate as its intermittent and normally only happens after the truck has been sitting overnight or for a few hours. Mostly apparent when the truck is cold. The noise started on mine at about 2500-3000 miles. I have a little over 5000 now.

Im going to end up having a passenger videotape while im driving so the cam's microphone picks up the noise and I can document it for the dealership. I was happy to see that they noted my remarks when I had them look at it while it was there for an oil change.. their notes actually showed up on my online gm service record... showing nothing found :mad:

Id be happy for GM to just come out and acknowledge there is an issue/problem and either fix it or provide some sort of compensation. I paid for my truck in full on the spot and expect service and a warranty thats "professional grade"

There are plenty of GMC and Chevy owners out there that are experiencing the same thing. I think "its like that on all of the models or similar vehicles" is a cop out. :flag:

rant over :banghead:

My 01 2500 HD 6.0 does the same thing. It sounds just like my neighbors school bus when they stop out front and then takeoff. I can pull it do in 1st and it will whine only in first, or leave it in drive and as soon as it shifts it stops. Ride in the bed and have a buddie drive it, IT'S CRAZY!!! :)

I asked the same question about a month or so ago and had a similar response.  I have a 2006 1500HD Crewcab 4x4 with the 6.0 and 4l80 tranny. 

I didn't get the impression he had a 4L80E, though it wasn't really said. That's a totally different animal.

I asked the same question about a month or so ago and had a similar response.  I have a 2006 1500HD Crewcab 4x4 with the 6.0 and 4l80 tranny. 

I didn't get the impression he had a 4L80E, though it wasn't really said. That's a totally different animal.

It is a 4L60E transmission. The whine is not very loud and it does not happen all the time so it is not a big concern at this time, however, I would like to understand where it is coming from and why does it come and go.

I have pretty much eliminated the alternator and power steering pump now as the source of the noise. I have not taken it to a dealership because I already know what the answer will be.

Here is the update on my truck concerning this "whine".

I ran the engine for several seconds with the A/C compressor belt off. No change. Then I ran the engine at idle for a few seconds with the serpentine belt off and the noise disappeared! So it is either one of the idlers or the power steering pump, or the water pump. It is not the alternator because I bolted up a new rebuilt alternator and ran the engine - the same noise still there.

The noise is definitely not transmission related.

What is amazing is that the noise practically disappeared on its own. Now it occurs very infrequently and only for a short while. I must emphasize that this is a very faint noise, not at all like the one described for the 4L80E transmission. I talked to a GM tech who rebuilds transmissions for a living and I was told that 4L80 transmissions typically whine in the 1st gear (normal). This is not the case with the 4L60E transmission.

Are the idler pulley or tensioner pulley bearings on these trucks known for making whining noise? This would be a cheap fix. But the noise is so faint and so infrequent now that it really does not concern me, except I would not want an idler bearing fail on me unexpectedly.

My 01 2500 HD 6.0 does the same thing. It sounds just like my neighbors school bus when they stop out front and then takeoff. I can pull it do in 1st and it will whine only in first, or leave it in drive and as soon as it shifts it stops. Ride in the bed and have a buddie drive it, IT'S CRAZY!!! :)

My truck does the same thing. Whines in drive while sitting still, put it in park and it goes away. I only notice it when im in a drive through or at the bank. I just ignore it because everything works right and my tranny temps never go over 175. Last time i changed the tranny filter it didnt have any large debris and it looked in great condition, soo im just gunna keep on ignoring it.

I took it in for service and after driving on the feeway for 20 min was a bit quieter. The tech said it sounded like the power steering pump.

Well, I narrowed down my list to either the serpentine belt tensioner bearing, belt idler bearing, water pump bearing, or power steering pump.

I very well could be the power steering pump, but why does the noise come and go in my truck's case? It may not be there for several days, then it may suddenly return for a few minutes, but it is only noticeable at very low speed (15-25 MPH) as a faint whine. The frequency of whine does not change when the wheels are turned. It is not the same kind of noise a power steering pump makes when low on hydrulic oil (groaning noise). Rather, it is a high pitched whine.

Anyway, I would be very interested to know if replacing the power steering pump gets rid of the noise. If it does, I may take my truck in, but I do not know if I can make it whine on demand. :chevy:

Check to see if this whine is happening while the trans is in park. Maybe it's coming from the power steering pump.

I had heard somewhere that GM was going to hydraulic-boost power brakes on the 1500's, and maybe this is what happened, and if so, maybe the pump's vibrations are radiating through the firewall because of the hydraulic brake booster.

Archived