Tricks of the trade...

Trying to keep the topic generic enough so that just about any satellite topic can fit here. Anyway...

IF you are getting ready to RENEW your XM satellite subscription, read on. At one time, you could renew your subscription at the XM website, but no more. So, you can phone in. There are two phone numbers:

1-800 252 9119 -- USE THIS ONE!!!!

1-800 967-2346 -- AVOID THIS ONE!!!!

The top number is the one you want to use and is listed on the renewal letter that came with your postal mail. But, being internet-savvy, you might grow weary of the 35 minute wait time, and surf XM's website and see the second number. There is only about a five minute wait with that one. But, WAIT! Don't use that one! No! :)

The bottom number will give you a weird India/Pakistani/Engrish speaker. Secondly, you won't get any discount at all for renewing. A one-year renewal from the India/Pakistani/Engrish speaker will cost $142.45!!!! No discount for being a loyal subscriber.

The top number... ok. Get a nice speaker phone and do other stuff in the room as you wait. You will get a North American speaker who is very courteous, and who will charge you $119.00 for a one-year renewal vs. the India/Pakistani rate of $142.45.

The India/Pakistani/Engrish speaker was very rude and disconnected me as soon as the account info was finalized. The North American was very pleasant and was the one who told me that I qualified for the discount.

Anyway, this is what the internet is all about. There are ways around any given problem and this forum can help.

Archived