looking into buying a Chev or GMC

Hello all, i currently have a 1997 Ford F-250HD with a 460ci 5spd, i love this truck but it is killing me on mpg. I cant afford to buy a diesel, and ford doesn't have any Gas engines that work for me.

So here i am looking at getting a GM! looking at getting a 99-2003ish 2500 4x4 long box ext cab. I have a 9.5 ft camper (1900lbs aprox) i use fairly often in the summer. How do you guys like the 6.0L ? Do you think i will like it? I have been spoiled with my 460, it doesn't even notice the camper on the back. I would assume the 8.1 would be the same mpg as my 460(7.5L). Empty i get about 7-8mpg.

What is the avg milage expectations of the 6.0L and the 8.1L? Are the auto trans pretty good in these trucks?

Any common problems i should look for while in hunt for a truck?

Sorry about all the questions, and thanks for all the answers! You might be adding a new GM fan to clan!

Jeff

We will do our best to turn you from the dark side. :banghead:

If you are use to a big block then you will be dissapointed if you go to a 6.0. Not to say it's a wimpy motor (from what others say a tune really wakes it up) but there's no comparison when it comes to towing power.

My 8.1 (496) runs around 11.5 to 12 mpg empty and 9.5 to 10 loaded (hay, horses, you get the idea). As long as you don't have a lead foot they do pretty good for a big block. The 6.0 I had before got about 13 mpg empty and 8 mpg loaded and I knew when I had a load.

The 6.0 gets GM's 4L80E tranny. Very good match for the engine and pretty reliable. Been around for years with some tweaking here and there.

The 8.1 get the Allison tranny. Hmmm, need I say more? VERY impressed with this tranny.

No major problems I can think of. Gas gauge sensor in the tank can get corroded and will stop working properly.

Hello all, i currently have a 1997 Ford F-250HD with a 460ci 5spd, i love this truck but it is killing me on mpg. I cant afford to buy a diesel, and ford doesn't have any Gas engines that work for me.

So here i am looking at getting a GM! looking at getting a 99-2003ish 2500 4x4 long box ext cab. I have a 9.5 ft camper (1900lbs aprox) i use fairly often in the summer. How do you guys like the 6.0L ? Do you think i will like it? I have been spoiled with my 460, it doesn't even notice the camper on the back. I would assume the 8.1 would be the same mpg as my 460(7.5L). Empty i get about 7-8mpg.

What is the avg milage expectations of the 6.0L and the 8.1L? Are the auto trans pretty good in these trucks?

Sorry about all the questions, and thanks for all the answers! You might be adding a new GM fan to clan!

Jeff

Hey there -

The 6.0 will pull 1900 pounds like it's not even back there, too. If mpg's are a concern, the 6.0 will also leave you smiling at the gas pump when compared to what your use to getting. Personally, I think an 8.1 is a little excessive for your application and mpg concern.

Jeff

Jeff, good question...and I think you came to right place.

I'm running an 04 short box, crew cab 2500HD 4x4 with the 8.1/Allison combo. Realy looked hard at 6.0 when I ordered this truck, but buddy and others here said the difference between 6.0 and 8.1 as far as MPG goes, well, not much difference at all.

I've installed Volant intake and Westers tune. Have 3.73 ratio and upgraded to 285 REVO tires. I'm getting 10.5 around town and 12-14 highway, depending on speed, wind etc. The 6.0's are getting just a little better, maybe 2 MPG (see other posts on 6.0 MPG)

Ran some numbers based on your engine and MPG vs. 6.0 and 8.1. Assuming 15k miles per year --

Ford 460 @ 7.5 MPG / fuel cost 2.75 per Gallon x 15k miles = $5,500

GM 6.0 @ 12 MPG (same as above) = $3,438 (save ~$2,000 per year vs 460)

GM 8.1 @ 10.5 MPG (same as above) = $3,929 (save ~$1,571 per year vs 460)

So you will save some $$$, but will that be enough over time to justify the cost of a new truck? You have to run the numbers more to see what you can get for trade in, what Uncle Sam will get you for on taxes for your new ride, etc.

I really like my 8.1/Allison. Great truck with lots of power. And throw in fact that I'm only spending about $500 more per year in fuel as opposed to the 6.0...money well spent for me :banghead:

Nothing wrong with the 6.0 engine. Lots of guys/gals have them and do really well with them. Have fun with your decision and let us know what you end up doing.

Hey, thanks guys, i really appreciate the feed back. I guess i have a lot to think about. Being that most of the time i am empty, and when i do load it up, its usually my camper or a load of dirt, very rarely a trailer, the 6.0L would probably do just fine for me.

Now another question, what is the diff between say a 1999 GMC 2500 and a 2002 GMC 2500HD? both with a 6.0L. Do they have diff tow ratings and GVWR?

Thanks again

Jeff

Jeff, good question...and I think you came to right place.

I'm running an 04 short box, crew cab 2500HD 4x4 with the 8.1/Allison combo. Realy looked hard at 6.0 when I ordered this truck, but buddy and others here said the difference between 6.0 and 8.1 as far as MPG goes, well, not much difference at all.

I've installed Volant intake and Westers tune. Have 3.73 ratio and upgraded to 285 REVO tires. I'm getting 10.5 around town and 12-14 highway, depending on speed, wind etc. The 6.0's are getting just a little better, maybe 2 MPG (see other posts on 6.0 MPG)

Ran some numbers based on your engine and MPG vs. 6.0 and 8.1. Assuming 15k miles per year --

Ford 460 @ 7.5 MPG / fuel cost 2.75 per Gallon x 15k miles = $5,500

GM 6.0 @ 12 MPG (same as above) = $3,438 (save ~$2,000 per year vs 460)

GM 8.1 @ 10.5 MPG (same as above) = $3,929 (save ~$1,571 per year vs 460)

So you will save some $$$, but will that be enough over time to justify the cost of a new truck? You have to run the numbers more to see what you can get for trade in, what Uncle Sam will get you for on taxes for your new ride, etc.

I really like my 8.1/Allison. Great truck with lots of power. And throw in fact that I'm only spending about $500 more per year in fuel as opposed to the 6.0...money well spent for me :banghead:

Nothing wrong with the 6.0 engine. Lots of guys/gals have them and do really well with them. Have fun with your decision and let us know what you end up doing.

Daubs,

Good information!

Jeff -

I believe the 7.5L has about 245HP and 400 ft-lb Torque, while the 6.0 has 300HP and 360 ft-lb. The 8.1 has 330HP and 450 ft-lb.

The cost to acquire an 8.1L is an additional $2150 (MSRP) over the standard 6.0. The cost to modify the 8.1L like Daubs did to improve his performance would cost an additional $750+/-. That’s a total of about $2900 in additional cost over the standard 6.0

Taking into consideration that you kept your current truck for almost 10 years, you may want to accrue this additional cost over the same time period:

Ford 460: fuel cost $2.75 per gallon / 7.5 MPG x 15k miles = $5,500

GM 6.0: $2.75 per gallon / 12 MPG = $3,438 (save ~$2,000 per year vs. 460)

GM 8.1: $2.75 per gallon / 10.5 MPG x 15K miles + $290 per year in performance upgrades: engine, trans, and modifications (10 year spread) = $4,219 (save ~$1,281 per year vs. 460)

Jeff, you save $7190 over this 10 year period by going with the 6.0L

With the performance of the 6.0 being pretty close to the existing 7.5L, and the weight of this trailer only being 1900#, the 6.0 offers the better overall value in this situation.

This whole scenario changes if a larger RV is purchased….anything over 4000# and I would get an 8.1L without thinking twice.

Now another question, what is the diff between say a 1999 GMC 2500 and a 2002 GMC 2500HD? both with a 6.0L. Do they have diff tow ratings and GVWR?

Thanks again

There's a big difference. The 2500 is the "true 3/4 ton" pickup. It has a 8600 GVWR like the pre '99 3/4 ton p/u's and uses midsized brakes, axles, and frame.

The 2500HD in all reality is a 1 ton pickup. It uses the same frame, axle, brakes, mechanical components, etc. as a 3500 and has a GVWR of 9,200.

Tow ratings are close, but the 2500 has a little more just because it doesn't weigh as much as the 2500HD.

I drive a 2004 2500HD Ext cab Long Bed with an 8.1L and I love it, My last truck was a 2001 2500HD Crew cab Long bed with a 6.0L and I hated it, the 6.0L was way under powered if you are doing anything other than driving empty. My gas mileage actually was almost the same, however under load with thousands of pounds of material I got better fuel economy out of the 8.1L (didn't struggle with the weight) also the allison is awesome with heavy trailors, I blew out the tranny in the 6.0L after 24k

Archived