Rear Sway-bar

• 1 month later...

For handling, or top heavy loads, go with front and rear bars. One rule to follow is that the rear bar should not be thicker than the front bar. Supposedly the factory bars are not as good as aftermarket bars, but for ordinary driving, they are probably good enough.

I am looking for a rear bar for my 2002 Silverado myself....

I have the hellwig swaybars front and rear on mine and I'm pretty happy with the results. Big improvement in reduction of sway and understeer.

I choose hellwig over addco and hotchkis mainly because of the rear installation. The hellwig didn't require drilling holes in the frame or moving the gas tank out of the way for the install. The hellwig is cheaper, and you don't have to buy the bars as a kit, you can just buy the back if you wanted.

The downside to the hellwig is they are heavy, if weight is a concern for you. It's a solid bar compared to the others that are hollow. Also, the finish sucks on them. The paint is all but flaked off the rear bar and all it's brackets and has been replaced with a nice coat of surface rust.

I have the hellwig swaybars front and rear on mine and I'm pretty happy with the results. Big improvement in reduction of sway and understeer.

I choose hellwig over addco and hotchkis mainly because of the rear installation. The hellwig didn't require drilling holes in the frame or moving the gas tank out of the way for the install. The hellwig is cheaper, and you don't have to buy the bars as a kit, you can just buy the back if you wanted.

The downside to the hellwig is they are heavy, if weight is a concern for you. It's a solid bar compared to the others that are hollow. Also, the finish sucks on them. The paint is all but flaked off the rear bar and all it's brackets and has been replaced with a nice coat of surface rust.

ah, the New Jersey, or northeastern USA curse, RUST!. I live in AZ, but will redo the paint ahead of time thanks to your warning....

I have the Hotchkis F&R sway bars and I love them. You don't need to move the gas tank to install, just insert the backing plate through one of the frame holes. You do have to drill holes in the frame though.

I bought Hotchkis because of the quality, weight, fit and finish, and because I believe the rear setup is better than the other (because you have to drill holes). I bought them from Tbryne.com during his last group buy.

the pics and a brief install description from my install are posted here:

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=362552

Archived