Steering

Has anyone fixed this problem?? Usually on a 90 degree turn, there is an annoying vibration along with a low pitch growling or rubbing sound if you will. The sound seems behind the steering wheel in the column. I have just done the steering intermediate shaft lube hopeing this would solve it. No luck. Anyone else with this problem?? 2000 Silverado Z71

Could it be some sort of rubber rubbing against steel inside the steering column inside the truck? Or is it more of an under-the-hood sounding problem? If it's under the hood, you might just need to replace your serpentine belt.

It really sounds to coming from the stearing column under the dash. Not to say that it couldnt be from the steering box makeing noise up the column. Hope this isnt a steering gear failure. Searched the other posts but couldnt really identify the problem. Anyone else have a suggestion??

I have the exact same thing on my 2000 Silverado. It's only during left hand turns, in the half "wheel throw" area. It feels like something soft is rubbing/growling. I know when I lube the front end it seems to lessen the problem a little.

Actually mine is worse steering to the right, although prior posts the majority show to the left like yours. The strange thing is it only does it when the wheel is hard over about 3-4 o'clock range. Once you straighten out the wheel it quits!

• 1 year later...
I know what you mean, that sound drives me crazy. I just don't know what it is or what the fix is. Any techs care to ring in?

I know this is an old post, but I had the same problem and posted the question here and received no viable solutions.

I took it to a shop a couple of months ago and they hear the rubbing sound on slow right turns, but couldn't pinpoint it. They said bring it back when it gets worse. I did about a month ago and they told me it was the gear box and that I didn't need to replace it at this time. It annoys the hell out of me and would like to get it fixed. Never asked what the cost would be, but I just read a post where someone stated they were quoted about $800 to do some steering fixes that I think included the gear box.

Archived